Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Rom won't read Win 2K

• Please log in to reply

al77

al77

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I’m trying to get an old Gateway 500mhz system working, I have Win 2000 Professional on it. I added a Samsung DVD-Rom SD-606F. After installing it showed up as E: drive and opens but will not read a cd/dvd the green light flashes on the DVD Rom when you insert the cd. I reinstalled the driver but don’t have the original disk, Device Hardware states it’s working correctly, I also removed the driver and let Windows reinstall and didn’t help. Checked and seems to be on 1 for auto-run and removed upper and lower filters in reg-edit. I also took the cd player out and installed the DVD Rom only and the cpu recognizes it but same problem. I also put a Sony CD read/write back in and now it will only recognize the DVD as D: drive and the cd is E: with the same problem on the DVD-Rom. I'm using the same hard drive that the DVD-Rom was hooked up with before and worked properly.

Edited by al77, 12 December 2010 - 04:54 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Check the position of the little black "jumper" on the rear panel of the optical drive. If the drive is sharing a data cable with the hard drive, that jumper must be set to the 'slave' position otherwise the PC won't be able to detect or read any discs you put in it.

al77

al77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well that fixed the drive letters...the CD is now D: and DVD-Rom is back to E: but it's doing the same thing, put the cd in and the light comes on but it will not read.

al77

al77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The DVD-Rom will not read cds or dvds but the PC recognizes it as E: drive

al77

al77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I found another DVD and installed it and it worked fine, I'm thinking the DVD is bad