Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connection Drops And Slower Then Ever

• Please log in to reply

Giladn

Giladn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I have this problem [and as I've noticed the whole forum is loaded with these kind of threads]
that I suspect is very hard to solve.

I'm using a cable modem- "Motorola Surfboard 5101"- and have recently upgraded my internet deal to
12mbit download and 1mbit upload.
Ever since I've upgraded my deal I suffer from random disconnections.
My router is Edimax BR-6424n and is plugged via a cable to my main computer [winXP sp 3].
My other computer is also a desktop and has win7 on it. I'm using edimax's EW7711USN to get connection.

For a month or so everything was just fine, but since then the speed is low and I suffer from these disconnection and in order to get back online I must unplug/plug the router's power cable. This is no solution for me, and I hope you tech wizards can help me. The weirdest thing is that sometimes the connection drops [i.e, the web browser won't show sites] but some programs like skype or a download manager will continue to function as if i'm connected!!

My protection is WEP [I know it's not good at all from reading some of the threads in here].
One more thing you should know is that i've tried to unplug the router completely and plug the modem straight to my main computer and had zero disconnection, though the speed was still very low. I got a new router from the company, configured it from scratch and updated it's firmware to the newest release.No good, the problem persists.

Please, I'm practically lost.
Help me out,

Thanks in advance,
Gilad

Advertisements

Giladn

Giladn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i'm sorry for the bump, but no replays for about 2 weeks.
does anyone have a dircetion or a sugesstion for me?

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Sounds like the router is the source of your problems. If you've flashed the firmware to the latest version and it still has this problem, I would say that you should replace the router. It might just be a fluke that it decided to go back at the same time you upgraded your speeds.