Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD and TCP/IP problems

• Please log in to reply

Victor Noagbodji

Victor Noagbodji

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all,

I have been seeing the BSoD for the past days. I downloaded Windows Debugging tools as suggested by someone so I can analyze the minidumps. I traced the issue back to a driver or at least a process related to tcpip.sys.

I thought Chrome (the browser) was the issue, but today there was another crash and this time Avast (my anti-virus) was the process that triggered it.

Find attached an archive of my minidumps.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files

Edited by Victor Noagbodji, 12 December 2010 - 05:56 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Download this please and then post the Who crashed report
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 December 2010 - 06:42 PM.

Victor Noagbodji

Victor Noagbodji

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: NVICTOR
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Celeron® M CPU 430 @ 1.73GHz Intel586, level: 6
1 logical processors, active mask: 1
RAM: 1600516096 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2050822144

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 12/12/2010 10:58:50 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121210-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nltdi.sys (nltdi+0xE3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFA870C949, 0xFFFFFFFFA6B44854, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\NetLimiter 3\nltdi.sys
product: NetLimiter 3
company: Locktime Software
description: NetLimiter 3 TDI driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nltdi.sys (NetLimiter 3 TDI driver, Locktime Software).
Google query: nltdi.sys Locktime Software KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Thu 12/9/2010 11:08:00 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120910-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFA8AE5949, 0xFFFFFFFFA767C854, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nltdi.sys (NetLimiter 3 TDI driver, Locktime Software).

On Thu 12/9/2010 12:02:56 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120910-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFA8989949, 0xFFFFFFFFA70B8854, 0x0)

On Thu 12/9/2010 3:25:50 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120810-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFA881D949, 0xFFFFFFFFA78DE854, 0x0)

On Thu 12/9/2010 12:35:49 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120810-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFA87EC949, 0xFFFFFFFFBA327854, 0x0)

On Tue 11/23/2010 6:48:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini112310-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x37446)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFE49B901C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFBF837446, 0x1)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 10/19/2010 12:06:54 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini101910-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x21CC5)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF89C6B900, 0xFFFFFFFF89C6BA74, 0xFFFFFFFF805C8C88)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 8/3/2010 5:26:07 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini080310-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x152C39)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF952C39, 0xFFFFFFFFB9863C00, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

8 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 5 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nltdi.sys (NetLimiter 3 TDI driver, Locktime Software)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://www.netlimite.../news.php?id=38

Here is the link to this Locktime Software Net Limiter 3.

I suggest you go Start, right click My Computer click properties, click Hardware, click Device Manager and check for any warnings, particularly I would expect you to find them on network adaptors.

I would then update this Net Limiter 3 Locktime Software, particularly if you installed the Beta edition before the release of the first 3 edition. etc.
HAVE YOU INSTALLED THIS SOFTWARE.

Victor Noagbodji

Victor Noagbodji

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you so much.

I will just remove that software. I installed it so I can limit my connection speed during web development testing. I haven't used it since. I have even removed it from startup programs and now I am surprised that there is a process that is triggered by it.

Edited by Victor Noagbodji, 12 December 2010 - 07:47 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have no knowledge of that program whatsoever.
However very brief research tell me that I would urge caution.
It seems a lot of people have had BSOD and even more problems uninstalling.
I see the site has an uninstaller for Net Limiter 2, but I could not find one for Net LImiter 3.
I would urge backup of important data and the setting of a restore point before even attempting removal.

I am NOT being critical of the program, as I have insufficient knowledge of it to pass comment. If however what you installed was a BETA version, I can certainly advise you NEVER install a BETA version on your main computer.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 December 2010 - 08:35 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What happened?
You're not going to like my answer.
The good news, if there is such a thing in this scenario, is that you're not alone. Many people simply can't resist doing exactly the same as you.
I'll look at what happened, and what you could have done instead to avoid the mess you experienced.
What happened is actually very simple: you installed
pre-release software without taking appropriate precautions.

I'll put it as bluntly as I can: whenever you install Beta or pre-release software you should plan on losing everything on your machine.

That sounds extreme, and it is. I'm not saying that every time you install pre-release software you will lose everything, I'm simply saying that you might, and that you should act as if you will.
"... when you install Beta or pre-release software you should always expect the worst."

The problem, of course, is that it doesn't always happen. In fact, it happens infrequently enough that many people think it never happens, or that it won't happen to them.

Until, as in your case, it does.

I'll say it again: when you install Beta or pre-release software you should always expect the worst.

Why?

As I've discussed before, the very nature of pre-release software is that it's not done - it's known to have bugs, and is being released only for testing purposes. You, in using pre-release software, have placed yourself in the role of software tester. The software will fail. The failure could be minor, or as you've apparently experienced, it could be disastrous. The idea is that when you use pre-release software you're being a tester and you'll report that failure to the software manufacturer so that it can be evaluated and possibly fixed.
You don't want to be a software tester? No problem.
Don't install pre-release software.
WITH ACKNOWLEDGEMENT - A Copy and Paste
If you did install the BETA version this is for your information in future

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 December 2010 - 08:42 PM.

Victor Noagbodji

Victor Noagbodji

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks a lot for the information. As a programmer myself, I think it is good advice you are giving :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome, but HOW is it when you have removed it or updated it . Have we got rid of the BSOD.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 December 2010 - 07:09 AM.

Victor Noagbodji

Victor Noagbodji

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think so.

I have been working for about 4 hours now and no BSoD so far after I have removed Net Limiter.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks and pleased I could help.
Many people have had more problems than that, apparently with this program, but then of course you never know, from just a forum post, where the real problem lay.