Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSUs standard size?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Purchased a new computer case - the CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 - and moved everything from my old case to the new one. Everything was fine and dandy until I tried moving over the power supply. It's simply too big to fit in the space of that enormous case. Until now, I thought all power supply units were the same size (except the ones used in desktops).

The only thing I have noticed is that my current power supply has a fan on the front of the box, not the top or bottom. If I purchase a PSU with a fan on the top or bottom, is it safe to assume it'll fit the hole?

The current PSU is coming out of an Alienware case. The only thing stock in that case was the power supply and the ROM drive. All other parts, including the motherboard, have been replaced over the last two years.

While shopping for PSUs online, I don't see dimensions for these things so I have to believe it's standardized, right?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. I hate to blow $130 on a PSU and find it doesn't fit the hole either. When looking at reviews for this case, NO ONE has complained about getting their PSU in this case so I assume Alienware used some fenangled box instead of the standard size.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A standard design for components is the ATX standard. I don't know about the Alienware, but find any ATX power supply and it should fit.

If what you are saying is true, shame on Alienware!