Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java works in IE, not Firefox nor Chrome

• Please log in to reply

VashvsKnives

VashvsKnives

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, first time posting. I've been scouring the internet but can't seem to find a solution to this problem. I would be most appreciative of any help I could get.

Java works in Internet Explorer, but will not work in Firefox or Google Chrome. I have all the latest versions of each software I've mentioned. I've double checked the options in the Java options under Control Panel, as well as checking the options in Firefox to ensure that Java is enabled. Deleting the cache of either my browsers or Java yields no results. I've tried adding exceptions to my firewall and anti-virus (although I'm sure that has nothing to do with it, I'm at my wit's end), and still cannot get Java Applets to function. Running in safe mode with addons disabled still yields no results. I've tried uninstalling Java and Firefox, rebooting, installing both, and rebooting again but Java applets will still not load.

I've gone to javatester.org/version.html and Java's own version checker. They either remain blank or do not load. I've gone to browserspy.dk and tested for Java, and got the following results:

Test Result
Java enabled Yes
Java supported Yes - version 1.6.0_22
Java version Yes - version 1.6.0_22
Java using object and applet tag
Java using the applet tag

As you can see, the last two are completely blank. Again, I've scoured the internet looking for a solution (including this forum; installing the WMP plugin did not work.) If anyone can help me, I would really, really appreciate it.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Is the Java plug-in listed in firefox's Plug-ins list? (Open Firefox, click 'Tools' >> 'Add-ons'. Click the 'Plug-ins' icon at the top right.
There's usually two Java entries:

1. Java Deployment Toolkit
2. Java Platform (this is the actual plug-in)

If neither is listed, then the Java Runtime Environment is not installed as a Firefox plug-in.

It's important to realise that in IE, Java runs as an ActiveX control, whereas in Firefox/Opera it runs as a plug-in.
I assume you are using Firefox to download the java plug-in so that the adobe server knows you need the plug-in version?

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 13 December 2010 - 03:32 PM.

VashvsKnives

VashvsKnives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, both of the plug-ins that you've listed are installed in Firefox Addons, and enabled. I did use the Firefox browser to install Java.

Do we have any other ideas?

VashvsKnives

VashvsKnives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I realize that double posting is usually frowned upon, but I still haven't gotten any solutions. Can someone please help?

coffee_addict

coffee_addict

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Have the exact same problem java not working in firefox except difference being my java version is 1.6.0_23, firefox is 3.6 , yes i've tried enabling next gen plugin and disabling , have uninstalled ff and java and reinstalled no different works in Ie but not in chrome or firefox yes i have gone to control panel and ticked box of default browser to include mozilla family , have tried window media player plugin ( read somewhere it needed?).I do have the jre plugin installed and the jdk one. My java is the latest version.

The only thing i can think of is that my operating system is 64bit (This is a fresh install) i have tried both 32bit java and 64bit which is only for ie so is of no importance really. I just can't figur out what it wrong?!?!

Have done the same Browserspy.dk test
Java enabled Yes
Java supported Yes - version 1.6.0_23
Java version Yes - version 1.6.0_23
Java using object and applet tag (blank)
Java using the applet tag (blank)

nothing else detects java in anyway and i think that browser spy simply reads what plugins the browser has and doesn't actually run java.

Edited by coffee_addict, 02 January 2011 - 04:20 PM.

VashvsKnives

VashvsKnives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My windows installation is 32-bit, so it seems as though the problem spans across both versions of the operating system. At the very least I can see that I'm not the only one in this predicament. =/

coffee_addict

coffee_addict

• Pip
  • 9 posts
in that case I got no idea why it's not working.

coffee_addict

coffee_addict

• Pip
  • 9 posts
bump still got this problem =\

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...ft&words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp