Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply

skomi

skomi

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a 2,5 year old Pentium 4 running XP. For about a couple of weeks the power supply fan had been making a lot of noise. One day I left it saving a big file and when I came back the computer was jammed. When I tried to reboot it doesnt want to. I just get to the point where it checks the Cd-rom and it stops. I dont even get to bios. Nothing. It just stops and the "stanby" light flashes. Screen is black. The HDs seem to be working.

What can it be? The motherboard? Cpu? What can I do to solve this problem. I have tried everything. Help please. :tazz:

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Can you see any of the P.O.S.T. at all?

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Can you explain P.O.S.T. please? There is nothing on the screen. The monitor doesnt get any signal at all from the computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
post=power on self test

the screen you see before windows loads...memory count, hardrive detection

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No, nothing at all.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
In trying to troubleshoot a problem like this we have to narrow it down to a hardware or software problem. Right off the bat I sence a hardware problem, but Im wrong many times too.

Lets assume we are talking about a hardware problem first. One of the ways to see if its hardware related is to watch the post (power on self test) during boot and see if you can determine if it completes. Power on self test is a process by which the computer "looks" at some of the hardware on the computer and I think even assigns simple firmware type drivers to simple devices like the floppy drive. This process usually takes about a few minutes at the most and is visible under certain circumstances. Sometimes though this process is not visible for various reasons.

To you, it would look like a bunch of writing on a DOS type screen. The info shown is displayed quickly and has info related to your hard drive, and all the other drives and other hgardware on your computer.

Now, let me ask you, when the computer was working correctly, have you ever seen this info flash on the screen while it boots? Or have you seen it on another computer?

If you have, you now know what to look for if it is visible. And if we can see it, we may be able to determine if the post is completeing properly and that would mena a good bet your hardware is ok.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Is the fan working on the power suply and on the cooling fan for the cpu?

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thats just the problem. Nothing appears on the screen like it used to. Not a character at all.

Before when it worked the computer emitted a bleep when starting boot followed by the check-sound of floppy and cd-rom together with the text on the screen you mentioned. However, now no text appears and it seems it only checks the cd-rom and not the floppy... I dont remember the boot order but i think its 1)cd-rom 2)floppy 3)HD.
Hope that clears things a bit.

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Checked now. Cpu fan working. Power suply fan not.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok, seems at this point like somthing during post is messing up ( a hardware problem).

Again, Is the fan working on the power suply and on the cooling fan for the cpu?

Advertisements

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Checked now. Cpu fan working. Power suply fan not.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok , this may get tough now. Next question.....are you sure you cant get into bios? Have you gotten into your bios b4 on this computer?

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No I cant get into bios and I have done it b4

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok, what id do next is check your power supply voltages. This can be done 2 ways, either manually with a multimeter (youd have to open the case and know what you are doing)

Or...from the bios (which lists the power supply voltages, thats why i asked about if you could get into the bios.

Do you think you want to attemp this?

One fast thing you might try....reset your bios. Let me know if you dont know how to do that. However, with the fan not working on the PS, i wonder about its condition at this point, do you have a spare PS?

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I dont know how to reset the bios, and I dont have a spare PS. I have a multimeter and I could try to check the power suply voltage, although Im not exactly sure how its done