Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
If you feel at ease checking the power supply voltages, and im assuming since you have a multimeter, you have some type of background in electronics? This would qualify you to make no mistakes, right?

First try the power supply. Shut down the computer and pull the power plug. let it set for a few mins. open the side case (left side), if its a tower. Facing the motherboard(mainboard) , inside you will see the power supply in the upper left corner , right? Follow the wires out of this PS and see if you can find a connector that is called a "molex connector"(a whitish plastis connector) with 4 wires going to it. The 2 black wires are ground( they are the inner wires to this connector). The yellow and red wires are the hot wires. The red wire should be plus 5 volts to ground and the yellow wire should be plus 12 volts to ground. tolerance, id say : plus or minus no more than 10 per cent, probably within 5 per cent..

Ill get back to you on the reset.

Edited by djgotee, 26 May 2005 - 06:01 PM.

Advertisements

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'll try that and get back to you later. Thanks

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I saw several wires going out from the PS to the HDz CDromz Floppy, and to 2 connectors on the MB. One had a total of 20 wires of different colours. And one had 4, but there were 2 yellow and 2 black wires. I did as you said shutting off the computer, checked the wires and the multimeter showed nothing. I then tried checking the wires with the computer on, and then it showed around +12 volts to ground on both wires. I thought since you said +12 volts to ground on yellow wire, and they are yellow...
I checked the wires on a connector to the floppy. 2 black 1 yellow 1 red,
yellow was around 12V red around 5V, and this was also when the computer was on. When I shut down the computer nothing, which seems logical to me.

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I saw several wires going out from the PS to the HDz CDromz Floppy, and to 2 connectors on the MB. One had a total of 20 wires of different colours. And one had 4, but there were 2 yellow and 2 black wires. I did as you said shutting off the computer, checked the wires and the multimeter showed nothing. I then tried checking the wires with the computer on, and then it showed around +12 volts to ground on both wires. I thought since you said +12 volts to ground on yellow wire, and they are yellow...
I checked the wires on a connector to the floppy. 2 black 1 yellow 1 red,
yellow was around 12V red around 5V, and this was also when the computer was on. When I shut down the computer nothing, which seems logical to me.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok, sorry i could not get back to you earlier, had a downed computer.

All the molex connectors with 4 wires going to them should be with those colors i indicated b4....2 blacks inside, and reds and yellows outside. They all should read the same, that is, The 2 black wires are ground( they are the inner wires to this connector). The yellow and red wires are the hot wires. The red wire should be plus 5 volts to ground and the yellow wire should be plus 12 volts to ground. tolerance, id say : plus or minus no more than 10 per cent, probably within 5 per cent..

And of course you have to have the power on, i just told you to shut the computer off so as not to damage anything when you opened the case.

Your statement : I then tried checking the wires with the computer on, and then it showed around +12 volts to ground on both wires.

its not likely. read the voltages again.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
In other words, all the mloex connectors with 4 wires are connected to the same place in the power supply. They all have 2 blacks (inner) and a yellow and a red. Some have 2 blacks, reds, yellows going to the same pin. They all should read the same as i said b4.

skomi

skomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, now I know which connectors you mean, I checked a connector that went to the motherboard which actually has 2 black and 2 yellow wires and both yellow wires indicated +12V.
I bought a new Power Supply and checked the molex connectors and they all indicated as you said. Red to gound +5V and Yellow to ground +12V. The new power supply works fine, but it still wont boot as I suspected, at least I have a working PS fan now.
So all I know now is that there is power, but what now? Reseting the BIOS? Which I dont know how to do. Is the motherboard the problem? Cpu fan is still working.

tpspoons

tpspoons

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!
I have just installed flyAkite os x, and it seemed to work fine! But after using the pc 3 or 4 times, it just stopped working! it opens the boot screen, and just keeps loading... never further than that. What do i do!

Please help, (its a new pc, so i dont wont to ruin it so early).

Thanks. :) :yeah: :beer: :woot:

P :tazz: .s. Its a windows xp ;) ;) :) :)