Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Drivers After Windows 7 Install

• Please log in to reply

Morris6996

Morris6996

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I recently installed Windows 7 as my OS and now I'm missing 5 major drivers. One of the big drivers I'm missing is for my video. I have an HP Pavillion dv9000 and HP offers no Windows 7 support for this model; although the computer is just over 2 years old. I went to NVIDIA website but after I downloaded the driver nothing happened. My screen resolution is stuck at 1024 x 768 as being the best I can use. My computer is supposed to support HD but I can't use it because I installed W7. Could you please help me?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure if this will work for you but it seems to be one way to get the higher resolutions you desire. I found this resolution HERE if you need further help. It would appear that HP is not going to support Win7 on that series notebooks.

I actually have a dv9000 laptop myself so I was floored when I found out that HP would only support a few of the top laptop models for Windows 7 drivers. After doing alot of research and countless tinkering, I found the way to counteract at least one of the many woes many of you are feeling, updating NVIDIA GPU Drivers.

What I did was I went to HP's support site and downloaded their softpaq solution including the NVIDIA drivers for Vista (in my case, the 64-bit version). When it tries to install, it will fail saying that the version of Windows you're using is not Vista. By all means let it fail but don't exit unless you do so by the installer. This is where the next part comes in.

Go to the Screen Resolution Settings under Display and click on Advanced Settings. At this point, it should show you the properties of your card starting on the Adapter tab. Click on Properties and then the Driver tab. At this point, click on the Update Driver button and then click on the "Browse my computer for driver software." For my software, I found it under "C:/swsetup/sp42365/WinVista64." If you remember which softpaq file you downloaded, finding your path should be a piece of cake. After all of that, it should finally recognize your video card and ask you to reboot. If you're successful, you should be back at that 1400x900 resolution we all love.