Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I Need Networking Help With Multiple Routers.

• Please log in to reply

redline582

redline582

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok so I'm trying to streamline my networking situation at my house. I have two roomates and we have a total of 3 laptops (two of which require hard wiring), 3 desktops, and two Xbox 360s. Our current networking situation has a 20Mbit down/10Mbit up Fiber optic connection going to a D-Link DGL-4500 wireless N gigabit router broadcasting only a "N" signal. Connected to the Number 1 (one) port on the DGL-4500 is a basic D-Link router using DD-WRT (sorry I can't remember the model off the top of my head). This router is being used as a switch and as a Wireless G access point. We like to separate the wireless G and N signals so that any G devices wont slow down those using the N connection.

Two of the laptops are hard wired into the DGL-4500 since my roommates basically use them as desktops, but also use the N signal. Our HTPC is also wired in. Those 3 machines plus the other router and the uplink occupy those 5 ports. In the DD-WRT router the xbox and two desktops are connected which occupy the 4 non-'internet' ports.

I was really hoping that someone could help me streamline this situation since we are quite frankly out of ports but would like to add another router in our house, which is 120 years old so the chicken wire in the plaster walls seems to practically turn each room into a Faraday Cage.

I am willing to add something like this switch or this router. I also have about 3000ft of cat6 sitting in my closet so I have no problem running new wires.

I apologize for all of the information I just regurgitated onto your screen, but I'll be happy to clarify any information that seems fuzzy. I've also attached an excruciatingly detailed diagram. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• diagram.png

Advertisements