Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to internet after Windows XP Home Install

• Please log in to reply

lhommedieu

lhommedieu

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Home with a USB wireless adapter to a Linksys router and cable modem. 2 other computers in the house with wireless have been able to connect to the internet. My wireless adapter software says that I'm connected to the network that the others are on, but I get a message that says that the (internet) page cannot be displayed when I try to connect via Internet Explorer.

I had to do a clean install of Windows XP Home after a malware attack. I cleaned out the virus but after installing AVG 11 and rebooting I got stuck in a boot loop that I couldn't fix. I haven't installed any of the Service Packs yet, and am wondering if this is related - or whether I should be looking at the Linksys router software, which is, of course, not installed because it is somewhere else. However the Linksys software isn't on my Mac, either, and I have no problem getting online with that using the same router/cable modem.

I've tried fixing through IE and ran some config dns commands to clean out the dns; also searched for the latest USB adaptor driver and installed it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Steve

Edited by lhommedieu, 13 December 2010 - 12:27 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Are you using Windows Wireless Zero configuration for the connection or is it waiting for the Linksys.

lhommedieu

lhommedieu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the response: Windows Wireless Zero Configuration.

Best,

Steve

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Control Panel
Network Connection Right click the wireless adaptor, click Properties - On the next window with the adaptor shown - connect using your usb adaptor select TCP/IP and click properies again just below and to the right. ensure automatically is checked for both IP and DNS. On the same window, click Wireless networks and ensure that use Windows to configure is checked and below indicates your connection to the Preferred network. Below the preferred networks box click properties and check that the correct access key is inserted - if one is in use. Also check that your authentification ie; Open etc and encryption are as required. Then on the connection tab ensure Connect when network is in range is checked. On the Advanced tab, cherck your firewall settings to ensure that the connection is allowed.
Remember to click apply and ok as necessary.

If this does not solve the issue leave those windows.

Go start run and type cmd.
At the cmd prompt type "ipconfig" without quotes of course.

Then type "ping and the IP address shown on the last command. eg. "ping 192.168.1.64" without quotes of course.
Press enter and ensure that ping replies packets sent packets received with no loss.

Go on web and go to My IP.on this link - obviously on another computer
http://www.whatismyip.com/

That will give you the IP of the router.
NOW ping that address see if that is also OK

To leave cmd window type exit.

If any of my tests fail pls post results.
I have known AVG11 cause porblems I suggest you temp. disable it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 December 2010 - 04:44 PM.

lhommedieu

lhommedieu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
O.K. - I get as far as validating that the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" box is checked, but when I press properties next to the network name I get a "This network requires a key for the following:

Data encryption
Network authentication

The old network key won't work so I guess I wiped that one out when I reinstalled? Funny it was working using the wireless UBS adaptor configuration...

Tried a couple of approaches to enter the key; there is also a "this key is provided automatically" box that I've checked, but now I get a "Validating Identity" sign under the Wireless Network Connection card I've been using.

Best,

Steve

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well at least now you KNOW what the problem is.
I cannot see a way to help further until you can establish what key is required.
It would of course be possible to reset the router to default, but if another key has been entered then the other computers will NOT of course then connect.
Can you not establish the key from the other computers.

The key is provided automatically will not work unless of course that is so configured in the router - if indeed it can be.

Funny it was working using the wireless UBS adaptor configuration.

Sorry do not understand

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 December 2010 - 05:36 PM.

lhommedieu

lhommedieu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm using a ALFA Network model AWUS050NH wireless USB and a Ralink Wireless LAN card. I can connect to the network the launching Ralink's Configuration Utility; when it asks me to choose a network I choose the one that I use and it accepts the key. (But then I can't connect to the internet even though Ralink says I'm connected to the network.) The problem is that when I try to switch to using Zero Configuration as the configuration utility it won't accept the key.

Best,

Steve

Edited by lhommedieu, 13 December 2010 - 06:48 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Why are you bothering about trying to get Windows Wireless Zero to accept the key.
Surely, your first task is to find why, when the key has been accepted using the configuration utility from the manufacturer, WHY it will not then connect to the internet.
DID you try the pinging of the router.
I suggest you work your way through my post 4 and then post your reply, with reference to my post.

ALFA Network model AWUS050NH wireless USB

http://www.alfa.com..../bin/home.phtml

Ralink
http://www.ralinktec...ct_overview.php

Generally speaking, you are far better using the manufacturers configuration utility than the Windows one.
Certainly, whichever you use, I would ensure the other one is disabled.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 December 2010 - 08:44 PM.

lhommedieu

lhommedieu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your response.

First test o.k.

Second test (for router ip) yielded "Destination host unreachable" x4

Best,

Steve

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well there is the answer.
The wireless card will not ping the router, so either your settings are incorrect in the wireless card for the router or the router itself has not seen your device. Can you connect with ethernet cable from the computer to the router and see if that works. At least then you know it is a wireless configuration.
I would check your router settings, your Firewall and at the cmd instead of ipconfig type "ipconfig /all"

Then work your way through this
http://social.answer...67-c72370e6c5c5

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 December 2010 - 09:36 AM.

smithndavis

smithndavis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Your problem is because of configuration of router.After clean XP and after re install,you have to set all settings of router and you should configure it to connect to internet.Also check your computer settings and install all drivers or required programs of router.