Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop Outlook Express trying to become default mail program

• Please log in to reply

lizgold

lizgold

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi--

I am on Windows XP. I do not use Outlook Express, but it is on this computer because I have a friend who uses it like once a year.

I use WinPatrol to monitor my startup apps. EVERY time I start up, it asks if it is OK for Outlook Express to replace Thunderbird as my default mail program. I always say NO!

This started happening recently after a Microsoft Update.

OE is NOT in my All Programs startup folder or in my WinPatrol startup list, and I can't find the utility that is causing this message to pop up. Any ideas? Do I have to uninstall OE completely?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Outlook Express does not start up on its own, and has effectively been discontinued in favour of Windows Live Mail. I'm not aware that any further updates for OE as such have been released. OE is integrated as part of XP and is not uninstallable.

In Outlook Express there is an option somewhere that you can toggle to tell it to stop checking to see if it's the default client. A similar option exists in Thunderbird. Turn the appropriate option off in Outlook Express.

lizgold

lizgold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
OK, I tried changing the setting in OE, but that says it will stop checking if it's the default program *when OE starts up* (which it never does--I never use it).

I think I'll just uninstall it.

Thanks anyway.

lizgold

lizgold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well, even though I tried to disable it (by renaming the folder), it reinstalls itself. Even though I NEVER open it, it continues efforts (in the background, after startup) to change my file type association for .eml.

Fortunately, my WinPatrol program catches this, so I disallow it each time, but it's annoying.