Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Frankie4

Frankie4

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI Geeks to go; I just purchased an external hard drive HP, I put commercial backup clone of the hard drive; now I'm tring to erase the entire hard drive by formatting;(I'v tried at the command prompt fat32, then Ntfs and something is preventing me from doing this; I always thought that the format option overides all files on the hard drive; and would allow me to wipe out hard drive at my discretion. thankyou Frank :D

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to My Computer, right-click the external drive and click Format. Click Start without changing anything.This should format your disk to NTFS.

Frankie4

Frankie4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thankyou for the reply skeptic; at first with the ; Go to My Computer, right-click the external drive and click Format. Click Start without changing anything.This should format your disk to NTFS. I still had files on the drive after the format; then I tried to delete the files and was getting; A Red X and the message read cannot delete identity H:So then I uninstalled the commercial clone software on my harddrive; did a quick format and all the files were deleted; So I'm good now; thanks Again, Frank