Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

that black screen with the flashing cursor again

• Please log in to reply

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
think i missed a space out seems to be doing something now 31% completed

Advertisements

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
so we have got on the screen at the present time,

c:|windows>chkdsk c: /r
volume created 10/14/07 05:30p
the volume serial number is 18f8-6011
chkdsk is checking the volume...
chkdsk is performing additional checking or recovery...
55% completed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think you are typing it incorrectly. Do not worry, we have all been there. We all started at one time from scratch.
I will be with you as long as you need until about 12 mdnt UK time
PLs do not go without telling me you are signing of tbere is nothing more annoying than waiting for a repsonse that does not come.

Pls see the link again, but the command is "chkdsk C: /r" that is without the quotes and note the spaces. after chkdsk and after c:

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 December 2010 - 04:52 PM.

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
yes i will let you know when i have to go, im a postie and have a 5am start tomorrow, the only thing i did not do was use a capital C and yes i did miss a space out says 62% completed at present

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
seems to keep going back to around 50% completed i gues it is counting through different stages of checking i was wondering how long this may take?????

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Its a five stage check there is on recovery console chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r. p is check for file system errors. r is that and check for and attempt recovery of data from bad sectors. R includes P.
However if you ever run it from a cmd prompt on windows it is NOT /p but chkdsk /f. or chkdsk /r.
In otherwords p is replaced by f.
It may well take sometime perhaps an hour, but it would not be expected to revert back in progress overall, I think you are seeing the progress of each of the five stages.

Quite understand the 0500 hrs start you just go whenever is right for you. Just let me know, may well post the next check for you to work on when you feel like it tomorrow. depending of course on how things seem.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 December 2010 - 04:51 PM.

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i think i am going to have to let this run and go to bed, will check for results and write them down before i go to work, i am not sure how many cycles it has done, so still could take a little while.

i will be back home from about 3.30 pm tomorrow so will hopefully speak to you sometime after that. thank you for your help it is very much appreciated.

kind regards

shotgun425

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK. Is there anyone who can watch it for you for a little while it is as I said a five stage check.
You will not by the time you come back see the results but do not worry we can get them.

When that chkdsk finishes the command is

Make any changes necessary in the Windows XP Recovery Console. When complete, take out the Windows XP CD and type exit to restart the computer.

That is back at the prompt type EXIT and press enter

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 December 2010 - 05:04 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If when you return recovery console is still loaded and you are back at the prompt see above.
type EXIT as explained. the computer will reboot. You may have to take out the CD, as it will reboot to that.
If the computer now loads Windows - we are still not finished.
Go start run and type "sfc /scannow" - note the space after sfc and before /.
This is system file checker.
It will not report a result.
It may well ask for the XP CD. However it may not accept it, as to run SFC you require the same XP version ie: Prof to Prof and SP3 to SP3 etc.
There are ways round this which I will provide if necessary.
When it asks for the CD, if it then provides a message try retry first and if the message is repeated try skip this file/ignore.

If the computer will NOT load windows as normal now again try Safe Mode. Do not bother trying LKG - Last Known Goood it will be of no assistance, it will not work if normal mode will not in this situation. However Safe Mode may.

I will not be available tomorrow until about 1800.

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

OK. Is there anyone who can watch it for you for a little while it is as I said a five stage check.
You will not by the time you come back see the results but do not worry we can get them.

When that chkdsk finishes the command is

Make any changes necessary in the Windows XP Recovery Console. When complete, take out the Windows XP CD and type exit to restart the computer.

That is back at the prompt type EXIT and press enter

sorry but i don't understand this,

when that chkdsk finishes the command is

is there something missing from this text like a command ??????

ok when the chkdsk had finished i found the following on the screen

chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on the volume

244027348 kilobytes total disk space
219749628 kilobytes are available
4096 bytes in each allocation uniy
61006837 total allocation units on disc
54937407 allocation units available on disk

c:\windows>

hope that makes sense

Edited by shotgun425, 16 December 2010 - 11:13 AM.

Advertisements

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

If when you return recovery console is still loaded and you are back at the prompt see above.
type EXIT as explained. the computer will reboot. You may have to take out the CD, as it will reboot to that.
If the computer now loads Windows - we are still not finished.
Go start run and type "sfc /scannow" - note the space after sfc and before /.
This is system file checker.
It will not report a result.
It may well ask for the XP CD. However it may not accept it, as to run SFC you require the same XP version ie: Prof to Prof and SP3 to SP3 etc.
There are ways round this which I will provide if necessary.
When it asks for the CD, if it then provides a message try retry first and if the message is repeated try skip this file/ignore.

If the computer will NOT load windows as normal now again try Safe Mode. Do not bother trying LKG - Last Known Goood it will be of no assistance, it will not work if normal mode will not in this situation. However Safe Mode may.

I will not be available tomorrow until about 1800.

i have not done any of this yet as i think a command was missing that you wanted me to run as mentioned on last quoted post

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Type "exit" eithout quotes, press enter. computer exit recovery console.
Remove CD see if Windows will load

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
not sure if this makes any differance with how we proceed but i am not concerned if we have to start again from factory install there is no data on here that is that important in fact i have quite a lot of old business data on here that would be better totally wiped out as i now no longer run that business, customer details and records that would be good to erase totally.

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
no still the same black screen

shotgun425

shotgun425

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
and still no f8 safe mode either