Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

itunes 10 with windows xp

• Please log in to reply

SHW

SHW

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We have a laptop with windows XP and we have just upgraded the latest version of itunes, 10. However, when I try to connect to the itunes store now it says 'could not connect to itunes store. The network connection timed out'. Our connections are fine. We have followed what apple suggests, unistalling, reinstalling, etc, and the problem continues. I also checked my firewall and it has the exceptions we need to run itunes. I contact Apple too and they do not support itunes over the phone. Please Please help, its so frustrating.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I did find this elsewhere on the web, by following a link from another website where the poster said it worked for him:
http://taschek.wordp...o-itunes-store/

Before attempting the fix, you must make sure you enable "View Hidden Files & Folders" in Control Panel (classic view) >> Folder Options,
otherwise you won't find the iTunes folders or files referred to in the fix process.

Also be aware of the following notes I gathered from the original poster after the fix allowed him to connect to the iTunes Store:

"The fix clears your original iTunes preferences out and restarts iTunes with the initial wizard. Also be wary of getting iTunes to 'organise' everything if your library's already "spick and span", otherwise it'll probably reconvert all MP3 files to AAC if you're not careful.

After clicking on ITunes Store it seemed to treat me as a 'virgin user' and opened up fine. The other key thing to do, which I didn't do initially and so I had to re-do all the above again is to sign into iTunes Store with your email address and password when you do eventually get in (your email address will appear in the top right with the balance of your account. If you forget to do this it 'forgets' who you are again when you next reboot."

Good luck
Pip

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 15 December 2010 - 11:44 AM.