Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)

• Please log in to reply

-LastRESORT

-LastRESORT

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Does anyone know what "Floppy Disk(s) fail (40) means or how to fix it... If so would you please tell me so I can get my computer to work Thanks.

-Jake-

Edited by -LastRESORT, 26 May 2005 - 05:09 PM.

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Have you recently replaced the floppy?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
"Floppy disk(s) fail (40)" is a standard failure code for the FDD. If the light doesn't stay on when booting, you can assume the cable is on correctly.

You may want to try a different cable and then a different floppy drive. It is also possible the floppy controller is going south. Also make sure in your BIOS that the floppy drive size/type is set appropriately

-LastRESORT

-LastRESORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I just recently got a new hardboard and processor. And now when I try to start it up it says Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so, when you installed the new motherboard, you either a) did not install a floppy, and therefore disable floppy drive in bios, or you put the floppy cable on backwards

-LastRESORT

-LastRESORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
So what do I need to do check my floppy cable and then if that is right what do I need to do?

-LastRESORT

-LastRESORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok... now i dont get floppy disk erro anymore.. but now I need to know how to make my bios start my CD-Rom first so i can install windows XP on it and was wondering how you would do that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of motherboard

-LastRESORT

-LastRESORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I bought an ASUS P4S800 mother board

-LastRESORT

-LastRESORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
If that is what you mean.

Advertisements

-LastRESORT

-LastRESORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
So can I get help or is it not fixalbe?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hang in there guy, gerry might be looking up your motherboard or helping someone else.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
If you have the MB manual....Look in your motherboard manual and find where it tells you how to get into bios and where the boot priority is and how to change it.

-LastRESORT

-LastRESORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Oh sorry... I am trying to get y computer working. This is the nest forums that have heloped so I will wait. Thanks

-LastRESORT

-LastRESORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I was reading the manual and It say the boot order and when I go to it it tells me to change the ATAPI CD-ROM and when I go to change it there is nothing listed but Disable or none. What does that mean. Sorry to be such a pain!

Edited by -LastRESORT, 26 May 2005 - 05:53 PM.