Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Reebots

• Please log in to reply

Lembo

Lembo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I recently built a new computer with an Intel DH55TC motherboard and an intel i5-750 processor with windows 7 as the OS. I have been plauged with random reboots since day one. When the computer crashes the power seems to just cut out without any warning (I may be reading a webpage, playing a game, or leaving it idle) then 2 seconds later it starts up again. After restarting I am never prompted to go into safe mode as i would have expected with any other crash or loss of power, the computer goes straight to my login screen. These reboots occur within about 15 minutes of starting up. What I find truly dubious about my situation is the temporary fix I have found. If I remove my processor then put it back in the socket the problem dissapears for about 2-3 days then comes back. This leads me to believe that the problem lies in the MOBO's socket or processor. If anybody can shine some light as to why this is happening I would be very glad to hear your input and perhaps about a permanent fix.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I would try to investigate what is your Processor temperatures (The program SpeedFan will help you know).

Also make sure you put the right amount of thermal paste on it, not enough is bad and to much is also not good, any excess paste leaking on the motherboard can cause issues.

Does your Processor fan seem to be turning properly (speed).

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
This could be the result of many causes - which makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Like Alzeimer, heat would be my first suspect. Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (or check for a more recent version on your motherboard or PC maker's website). If none, I recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs, or http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>RealTemp for Intels. As mentioned, SpeedFan is a great and popular alternative, or you can try Motherboard Monitor. Unfortunately, I have found that often these programs often have problems properly identifying and labeling the sensor they are reading. The temperatures shown are as accurate as the inexpensive, low-tech sensors will allow, but it may say System Fan instead of CPU Fan. Fortunately, the programs do allow you to edit the labels, so I use Everest to verify the temperatures (as it is able to put sensor to label correctly), then edit the label in the monitoring program. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. Unfortunately, Everest does not minimize to the system tray to show real-time temperatures, otherwise, you could use Everest instead of the others.

Make sure your case has adequate front to back air flow. I generally recommend at least one (preferably large) fan in front drawing cool air in, and one fan (excluding the PSU fan) in back exhausting hot air out.

Also note that once the TIM (thermal interface materials) cures - which typically takes a couple days and 1/2 dozen heat/cool cycles, when you break the cured bond you MUST thoroughly clean the mating surfaces and apply a new fresh layer of TIM. See my canned text on applying TIM.

Other potential causes for system crashes could be bad RAM, bad motherboard, or bad or stressed power supply.

Lembo

Lembo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ive replaced my motherboard, which was a pain, but now i have no problems. I guess that the MOBO had some sort of defect.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the followup.