Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checking System consistency, type of file NTFS

• Please log in to reply

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi,

2-3 days ago I was using my computer and all of a sudden it froze, I waited a while to see if it would restart but it didnt (I tried ALT CTRL DEL, but it didnt do anything) so I turned it off, when I restarted it a Black screen came up and it said the following:

Checking file system on C
type of file system is NTFS
volume label is OS
----------------------------------

One of your disk needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel disk check but it is strongly recommended. Cancell by pressign any key

So I let it go and it it said the following:

-Correcting error in index $I30 for file 2122

Then it started doing things, too much to write down but in the end it completes 3 steps of 3 and it restarts. It will work fine for a while but then all of a sudden it refreezes and there is nothing I can do about it but to turn it off. When I turn it back on sometimes it starts and ask if I want to start in safe mode or not, when I did try it just froze again :D so when it asks me I tell it to start normally.
What I noticed is that it doesnt always do the "check for consistency" thing, but almost always, In the past 2-3 days it did it at least 6-7 times (quite annoying).

I checked on this forum for answers and I got this:

Click Start, then Run (Search In Vista)
Type cmd, and click Ok
At the prompt in the command window that opens, type fsutil dirty query ?: and press Enter (Where ? is the letter of the drive to queried)

Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

But when I do it it tells me: The FSUTIL requires that you have administrative privileges

I am loged in the administrator account when I do this, so I dont know what to do, can any one please help me?

God Bless,

Tom

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right click command prompt and click run as administrator
now do the following:
In the new window that appears, type fsutil dirty query c: and hit ENTER. If what appears on the screen says Volume - c: IS Dirty, then please do the following:

Please check the following before proceeding:
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands. Please note the spaces.
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c ?: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
  • chkntfs /x ?: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r ?: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query ?:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup. If the machine boots back up to the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter"...it should boot to Windows.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Wow, that was a quick response ;)

I have a new problem now :D when I type that in it now says:

ERROR: the system cannot find the file specified.

the specified drive format is invalid or not supported

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
when you typs this:
fsutil dirty query c:

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
ok, I didnt pu the : aftre the C

It says that i is not dirty

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
and then 10 min later it froze again GRRRRRRRRR ;) ;) :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What do you mean freeze?
If running chkdsk /r it will seem to freeze and maybe even backup but that is normal.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I typed in:

fsutil dirty query c:

and the response was

volume - C: is NOT dirty

then I wrote on here that it wasen dirty, started watching a movie and then it froze up on me like its been happening in the last 2-3 days. By freeze I mean or the movie stops playin by it self and then the busy sign comes on instead of my arrow and/or when I click to do something else next to what ever I opened or closed it says (not responding) and then it just stays like that forever, I tried alt ctrl del = no result, ctrl shift esc = no result, it just cant do anything anymore. IDK

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
ohh yeah, after seeing that is says " not dirty" I just closed the window.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we move on to the next steps.
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Also please do the following:

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Advertisements

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi,
Sorry for peacing out yesterday I had to do some things. Ok I opened the even viewer, I clicked on local and it opened up, now its divited in 3 section with each different info. Top one is "summary of administraive vents" and it has different event types I.E. critical, error,warning.
then there is the mid section which is "recently viewed events" and the bottom one is "Log summary". Now in which one of these do I check for the problems? I clicked on "error" and it has a list of different errors in it, NTFS is one of them, and Bounjour service is the one with most errors. IDK, could you please explain to me where I need to look for the time and date of the crash. (sorry i'm a nube at this)

I ran the WHo Crashed and this is what it told me:

computer name: BRADY
windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 4283564032 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2018889728

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
a new thing happende. With out crashing (or what ever u wanna call it) i turend off the computer using the menu shut down, when I turned it back on a couple minutes later it didnt start normally it did the checking disk for consistency again. What I have noticed the computer freeze a lot when I watch a movie, last night it froze about 15min into the movie then another 15 min later and after another 10-15 min it froze again. The hard drive is not completely full I have a total of 283gb and I still have 43gb free. What else I noticed is that when it freezes there is a click cound that comes from the computer, IDK, but it only does it when it freezes, and it only started doing it 3-4 days ago. Hope this can help find/fix the problem. Thanks for your help and patience

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK did you follow the steps in method 2 above?
Try this :
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 14 12 2010
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 16 12 2010
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
ok sorry had to save the VEW info into 2 files cus it was 1.15MB so here are the results, i clicked all the boxes u suggested. As for the fanspedd I dont know why it didnt give me the same reults that u had on ur screen shot. tried different times but IDK