Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checking System consistency, type of file NTFS

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

Advertisements

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
LoL, unfortunately the farthest to date restore is the 16th, witch is 2 dayago when the problem was already there.... I have to say that sinceyesterday the computer hasnt froze or done the system consistency check, I guess the problem is almost fixed, except if I remember right I had some problem with registry ?!?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see if it stays working for at least one more day. If so then we will look at the other problem.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
ok :D

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hey it hasnt froze or done the checing disk for consistency since I last told you about it :D ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear.
Now please remind me the issue with the registry as I just woke up and haven't had coffee yet. :D

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok I dont really remember what excactly was the other prob. I know when I did the defrag at the end it still had fragmented files so maybe that was one (page 3) thing and the other might be the result of the who crashed on page 1. Just to let you know today its working well :D and it hasent had a problem in 2-3 days ;) I'm going to hit the sheets i'm tired, I'll get back at you tomorrow. Thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will never get all files defragged because some of them are in use so they cannot be defragged.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok, then I guess the problem is resolved. THANKS A LOT, with out u my computer would have probably died soon, either from crashing or from me tossing it out the window ;) :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations Gandalf81. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;) Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Advertisements

elsavako

elsavako

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi ,

I have exactly the same problem (Windows 7) which appeared out of a blue after laptop was switched off for 2 weeks (holiday).

I lost track of the Q&A above... is it possible please to summarize what finally fixed the problem??

thank you so much!! anna

elsavako

elsavako

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
JUST to add to the above..

the computer continues to freeze randomly (every 15 - 30 minutes) however didn't run consistency checks at the last three hard reboots.

installed a new web browser, deleted files and programs but nothing seems to help.

any suggestions please? thanks!!!

attached the result of autoruns.

perhaps worth mentioning that my laptop comes with vaio care which regularly runs registry defrags.Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   113.63KB   144 downloads

Edited by elsavako, 12 May 2013 - 11:53 AM.