Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Questions

• Please log in to reply

LilDude772

LilDude772

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ello again!

So just a couple of things I have questions of:

What processors, in all the world, do you think is the best one to use for many different things.. (i.e. Which processors best for gaming, for Work, for Basic computer lifestyle, etc)

AND

What computer build (more or less) would you recommend as a gaming computer, as well as accessories, of good value and quality?

Edited by LilDude772, 15 December 2010 - 09:55 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

What processors, in all the world, do you think is the best one to use for many different things.. (i.e. Which processors best for gaming, for Work, for Basic computer lifestyle, etc)

This is a personal preference answer when you ask this. AMD and Intel people will give you numerous reasons why their CPU is better then the other. In the end the decision is what is your budget and what how much is to much.

What computer build (more or less) would you recommend as a gaming computer, as well as accessories, of good value and quality?

Again budget budget budget.
How much are you willing to spend for the components?
Remember what you buy today will in reality probably be out dated in 3 months.
I spent 1500 last January building me a good all around system that would play games, movies and do office stuff also. Two months later there was new video cards, mobo's, hd's, cpu's out. The best lesson is to get something you can afford with the emphasis being on upgradabilty for later.
Most important I would never suggest a name brand system as I believe building your own system not only gives you the satisfaction but also you know every component in that system and how to replace it. The downfall is the manufacturers warranty on components is all you will have.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
IMHO

1) Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition

2) Falcon-NW Mach V (max'd)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say AMD 6 core

As for system again I would custom build with what you want.

LilDude772

LilDude772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Such nifty advice! Thanks everyone so far for the replies! :D

Also, @spydr, don't forget the last part of my question. xD

Edited by LilDude772, 16 December 2010 - 07:27 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The link SpywareDr linked is to custom build your system. Using the max on everything I found the system to cost about 4,000 USD. To high for my taste.
The problem is you don't mention a budget you may have in mind so it is going to be hard to come up with a configuration that you want without doing as I stated above.
As I stated I built my system in January with 8 gigs of memory and 3 hd's in it.
Two 1tb drives for data
500 gig for my 3 OS partitions.
All 64 bit versions XP, Win7 and Mandriva Linux.
ATI 5770 video card
AMD Denali 3.4 ghz cpu 4 core
Cooler Master Case
Asus Crosshair III Mobo.
21 inch LCD monitor
USB Keyboard and mouse

LilDude772

LilDude772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

The link SpywareDr linked is to custom build your system. Using the max on everything I found the system to cost about 4,000 USD. To high for my taste.
The problem is you don't mention a budget you may have in mind so it is going to be hard to come up with a configuration that you want without doing as I stated above.
As I stated I built my system in January with 8 gigs of memory and 3 hd's in it.
Two 1tb drives for data
500 gig for my 3 OS partitions.
All 64 bit versions XP, Win7 and Mandriva Linux.
ATI 5770 video card
AMD Denali 3.4 ghz cpu 4 core
Cooler Master Case
Asus Crosshair III Mobo.
21 inch LCD monitor
USB Keyboard and mouse

He never posted a link..

Only you did. Unless you mean his siggie..?

And as for budget-economics..eh, the 2 comps that SpywareDr posted are pretty much top-of-the-line computers, if you catch my drift, since I've been looking all around the web for an answer to the 2 questions I posted, and noted that those 2 are oh so very expensive..At least in the places I looked, they were.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are correct.
Go HERE and start configuring a system with your specs.
On the upper right side it will keep track of the cost as you add components.