Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen with mouse arrow only

• Please log in to reply

mia's garden

mia's garden

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I start the computer the Emachines logo comes up, then the Windows XP logo, then it goes to blank black screen with mouse arrow, no command prompt.
Can't start in safe mode or system restore or any of those F8 screen options...can't get a command prompt. Downloaded Windows XP start up floppies, but my PC has no floppy drive. I don't want to resort to a complete recovery because I will lose files. I think it is a settings problem, doubt it's a virus, but I can't get to anything but the bios. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Mary @ mia's garden

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what happened just before this began?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Gerry i wonder if its this:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314503

ultra_classic

ultra_classic

• Pip
  • 7 posts

When I start the computer the Emachines logo comes up, then the Windows XP logo, then it goes to blank black screen with mouse arrow, no command prompt.
Can't start in safe mode or system restore or any of those F8 screen options...can't get a command prompt. Downloaded Windows XP start up floppies, but my PC has no floppy drive. I don't want to resort to a complete recovery because I will lose files.  I think it is a settings problem, doubt it's a virus, but I can't get to anything but the bios.  Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Mary @ mia's garden

View Post

Greetings Mary,
Hope this works for you. You didn't give the model of your eMachine...if you do post back let us know the model because I have another 'fix' if you have the AU31 Motherboard.

Widows hanging on the splash screen.

Find your XP installation disk
Boot to CD
hit "r" for recovery console
choose C:/windows
type "chkdsk /r" (note space between chkdsk and /r)
when check is complete, type "fixboot"
type "y" for yes
type "exit"

Best of luck,
ultra_classic :tazz:

Edited by ultra_classic, 27 May 2005 - 06:13 AM.

mia's garden

mia's garden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your questions and comments. I have no individual Windows XP disc which is the main problem. My PC is a factory loaded EmachinesT3085 so it's all lumped together in the factory restore disc. The computer is still under warranty but they have not been much help. I can't use the windows down loadable XP start up disc because I have no floppy disc drive! I found a website called PC beginners that offers a possible solution in a CD ROM. Anyone familiar with that? Will never buy a factory packaged PC again!
Thanks,
Mary
p.s. The computer was fine the night before. Got up the next morning and had the black screen. My teen age son used it the night before so it's probably anyone's guess.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
once again, what happened just prior to this problem manifesting itself?

mia's garden

mia's garden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gerry,
My son was the last person to use the computer. He said there was no problem, no error screen or anything. He left the computer running, as usual, but only with desktop, I believe, no open files. He usually just surfs, IMs or edits his video. When I went to the computer the next morning the screen was black with only the mouse arrow. I've tried repeatedly to restart it. It appears to be booting up, goes to the emachines logo, then the Windows XP logo, then in a couple seconds it goes to black screen. I have virus protection, popup stopper and spyware sweeper, so I don't think it's a bug. I think either some settings got changed, or could it possibly be a hardware problem?????
Thanks for your interest.
Mary

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok so lets go over all this again.You have: No floppy drive, cant start in safe mode,

You said you have an emachines restoration disk?
Did you try to boot with your restoration disk? If you can it would be a better indication if this is a hardware or software problem. And, you can see if your restoration disk offer a recovery console, from which you can do a chkdsk and other items like fixmbr and restoring a bad registry.
Did you know that some restoration disks can restore and keep your files? Check with emachines to see if you can do this.

Other than that, another solution is a resque disk like barts PE. But this is not for begiiners and is higher on the learning curve and lengthy.

pcbreaker

pcbreaker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I have exactly the same problem... :tazz:

Worked fine yesterday. I installed msn and IMed a couple of friends using that and yahoo messenger (which was already installed). we sent jpgs to each other.

I don't want to try the fixboot command as the microsoft support website said not to incase it is a virus. Then the computer may not start at all. I'm not sure it is not a virus.

I'd like to at least make a backup of the files on the harddisk (normally I do this, but haven't lately as lazy... this will teach me!!)

I was going to try connecting with a network cable my laptop, but if it is a virus, would this be a BAD idea??

Any other ideas?