Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New HD old computer!

• Please log in to reply

Mushi

Mushi

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Alrite here goes, my mate has a an 300mhz P3 and i have an older 450mhz P3, my system had been laying dormant for a few yrs so i gave it to him but when we put his newer drive with winXP on it my old system wont even get past the packardbell screen but when we unplugged it and used a win98 boot disk everything worked ok, am i mising something or is it the fact his drive is an ATA and my old system wont have any ov it because its not IDE. HELP!!!!!!!! :tazz: java script:emoticon(';)')

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
can you boot your old system with its original hard drive?
if so, I would suggest using that, and adding his drive as a slave to the system. then he can copy his data over, or just leave it in as extra storage.

what do you mean when you said that system is not IDE?

Mushi

Mushi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The org, drive failed i think it was the actuatior bits cos it was rattling big time, but by IDE i ment is there a diffrence between them and the newer drive just isnt supported by the old system? if so then i just have to buy a compatable drive(he hopes).

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
both those older system should be using IDE drives. its likely a speed issue, for example your original drive may have been ATA 100, and his might be that or the slower ATA66 (thats unlikely though).
you could try using his drive to boot, but with winXP on there, you would have to do a repair install of the OS to get it working.
the other option is to buy a new drive, like you said, load XP fresh onto it, then use his drive as extra storage.
you should be able to pick a hard drive up fairly cheap, especially since you probably wont be going for anything huge.

Mushi

Mushi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ta bud, thing is tho the slower computer now refuses to turn on at all so removing/repairin xp is gonna be a mission, can u give me a few pointers on wht drives will deffinatly work on a the system its a 450mhz p3 by packardbell (it has dvd out if thats any help.)

oh and can i use the memory out of the slower one in the faster one(it fits in the slot!!!), im just not shure what type it takes.

:tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
give me the model number of the PC, you said its a packard bell.
look for a label on the ram modules with size and speed info. it should work, just want to check compatibilty.
you can also search for the info on the 2 PCs, looking for ram buss speed (likely 100 or 133). also buss speed of the IDE ports, for the hard drives.
shoot me the info (PC make/model), and I will check when I get a chance.

Mushi

Mushi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
there round at his place so il get em to ya as soon as i see em again prob tomorrow :tazz:

Mushi

Mushi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hiya bin gone for a bit tinkerin with those computers anybody know wht "no fixed disks present" is all about and cdr101:not responding arrrr the pain :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
oh uh, tinkered a bit too much it sounds like...
ok, which machine are you working on here, the PB 450? can you get into BIOS? if so, go into the drive settings area, is it detecting the hard drive (or drives) correctly, and the CD?
tell me what your current setup is, which drive is master, if a slave is installed, CD or two, ram from which of the 2 pc, etc.

make sure jumper settings are correct for drive positions- master boot drive set as master, second drive set as slave, etc.

Mushi

Mushi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ritey o,
im only using one HD and its a new one i invested in to save some time, now everytime i try to use the fdisk.exe thingy it says no fixed disks , is the bios screen the same as the dos screen.
im bootin from a win98 boot disk and holding down the ESC key but it goes straight into the menue with the three options(cd rom support, safe mode ect) so i choose number 1 and get the dos screen. whe i try and run fdisk NO FIXED DISKS is reported and when i try to run d:/setupwin98 it reports CDR101: NOT READING DRIVE D ????? all the cables are in the correct places (well i diddent move them in the first place)

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
frist thing is to make sure that the red line on the ide cable is on pin one of the hard drive and the jumper is set to master.
:tazz:

Mushi

Mushi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the cable will only go in one way and the jumper is set to master as sepc on the from of the drive,