Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update changes power settings

• Please log in to reply

declanomad

declanomad

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Windows vista 32bit home
HP Pavilion DV4 Laptop

My computer is not reliable & I think it's due to a power problem.
It used to destroy inverters when I lived in a van. The fan is always on, and it does get hotter than other computers. When I first had it it sometimes had problems charging the battery, and used to turn itself on sometimes.
I set the computer to shut down with 15% battery because it can simply cut out with the default settings. Unfortunately windows update has a habit of returning the power settings to default, with the result that sometimes the computer turns off suddenly due to lack of battery.
This results in problems in the configuration of the OS.

I thought the poor running was due to virus (which was a factor too), and I have disinfected twice, with help from geekstogo, and formatted three times

How do I repair the operating system (other than using system restore)?

How do I safeguard my power settings?

Is there a hardware solution?

Cheers Declan

Advertisements