Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

$1000 Mutli-Purpose Build

• Please log in to reply

Quesclamation

Quesclamation

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I recently decided to build my own computer, for a number of reasons. I've been compiling this list of parts throughout the last few weeks, and would now like to put it before you all for your feedback. I don't claim to know anything about building computers, as this my first attempt to do so. Below is what I want the computer to be capable of, and what I expect of it:

- Price at or around $1000
- Small amounts of photo/video editing
- Gaming on a 1920x1080 Monitor
- Able to handle lots of applications being open at once
- Able to connect to my AirPort from Apple

These are some of my concerns with my current parts list, and some questions that I have:

- Are any of my current parts creating a bottleneck on my system?
- Are there any parts that are incompatible?
- Are any of my parts unnecessarily expensive?
- Is my current wireless card going to work? (I am completely lost when it comes to this)

Without further ado, here is my list:

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Graphics Card: EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD/CD Drive: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98

Wireless Card: Rosewill RNX-G300EX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP with 100cm cable external 2 dBi Antenna

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

Any and all help is appreciated!

Advertisements

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
can you maybe provide links to each item? Sucks trying to look up each one on google >_<

One thing i'd suggest is changing the CPU cooler to one of these two:

http://www.tigerdire...4989&CatId=4922

http://www.tigerdire...4261&CatId=4922

The better of the two being the cooler master hyper N520.

Other then that everything looks good to me. I'd just suggest making sure the Mobo has enough connectors for each part just to be thorough.

RocketWild

RocketWild

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Case: Cooler Master

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4

Mobo: GIGABYTE

Graphics Card: GTX 460

RAM: 8gbs

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint

DVD/CD Drive: LITE-ON

Wireless Card: Rosewill

PSU: 650W ATX12V

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER

Clean'd it up for yah ;D

DotNaBox

DotNaBox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You've got a great base build there, but there are a few changes I would personally make.

Case: Completely your personal taste. Cooler Master make quality parts and I have used them many times.
CPU: Now, in the case of CPU selection, there are clearly two camps; AMD and Intel. I am an Intel fan boy, but the CPU you picked is a quality choice. The price is right for this build.
Mobo: I am a huge fan of Gigabyte boards. Taking a look at the current selection of AM3 Gigabyte boards on NewEgg shows me that you made another solid decision.
Graphics Card: I love EVGA and I love the 400 series cards. Good choice.
RAM: You can't go wrong with Corsair XMS.
HDD: This is where I disagree with your selection 100%. Personally, I will not build a system with anything other than Western Digital Black drives. They come with a 5 year warranty and I personally have had very few issues with these. I've ordered at least a dozen in the past year and all are still going 100%. Link: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136284
CPU Cooler: Personally, unless you are overclocking your system, there is no reason for an after market cooler. I have overclocked my computer with stock cooling many times and it's never been a problem. Really it's not necessary.
Wireless Adapter: Yes, this will work fine. No, it's not the right choice. I've owned a handful of Rosewill devices like this one and the honest truth is that it will work fine for some time and then all of a sudden die out of the blue. I find that they tend to die quicker than comparable devices from the likes of Linksys.
PSU: Personally, I would never build a new system without using a modular power supply. Having all of those extra cords just get in the way, make your cable management look less clean, and also prevent air flow at times. Therefore, I would pick something in the 650W range but is modular.

I hope this did more good than harm. So, really, I would change the HDD, PSU, wireless card, and drop the cooler.

Cheers!