Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lots of Errors- With Which Part Should I Start! 0x116, 0x490, crcd

• Please log in to reply

Esssy

Esssy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

So in a nutshell- several errors popped up as displayed in the title (same sequence). I'm one of the people affected by the ongoing NVIDIA settlement, and I *think* it all started with that darn graphics card! As a result, I think I need a new LCD inverter and HDD.

Background info:
While watching Hulu, or some YouTube vids, my computer would literally heat up so much it would hurt to touch, flash BSOD, then restart - stating that the graphics driver failed to return from timeout (or something along those lines). Contacted Dell (while I was still under warranty, which I'm not anymore).. They said update your BIOS, that'll fix it. Updated and "fixed".... For about 6 months... My computer still heated up, but it wouldn't randomly restart like it used to (which didn't seem like a "fix" to me, but whatever.)

A bit more recently (3-4 days ago):
Updated the graphics card driver, was watching Hulu, my screen started to show a jumbled mess, BSOD, then my computer shut down. Tried to turn it back on, black screen. Tried again, black screen again. Had to hook up the laptop to an external screen the next day because my monitor was just gone (lights up, but rarely anything shows). Searched for error codes, fixes, tried everything on the internet for the past 3 days-- and now I basically have a failing HDD :D .. I found out when I ran Dell's diagnostics tests (after several hopeless attempts of restoring, repairing, command prompting, failure to reach safe mode, etc. etc.) that my LCD inverter is faulty, and that apparently the hard drive is failing (same error on this Dell forum http://en.community....t/19305860.aspx).

Now I need that data off the hard drive, so I'm ordering an adapter USB kit from NewEgg (which happens to be down at the moment!).. But what's next? Is there any hope left in my HDD or should I just go ahead and buy a new one? If so, how do I choose a suitable one (which specs do I need to pay close attention to so my laptop doesn't explode)? (BTW: my HDD was just fine yesterday, could get into Safe Mode no problem. Today, when attempting to go into Safe Mode, it would crash at the crcdisk.sys driver. Just a note, if it matters.)

And what about that LCD inverter.. I don't even know what that is! My screen always lights up, but sometimes appears black and shows nothing. Other times, it actually works normally. Should I get that inverter now, test the current one with the new HDD, or wait for a new graphics card then get it? Where/how can I get it, and is it fairly straight-forward to install?

I'm sorry if I seem a bit scattered, but it all just hit me so quickly (and I'm typing this at 3:30 AM my time).. I'm not even quite sure where the mess started (overheating, BIOS update, graphics card, or just a slowly failing HDD??)... So let's hear it, GtG! I'd love to get a simple list of steps to follow (like 1. clone HDD, 2. replace inverter, etc.), but I'd be happy to get any sort of help with this aggravating mess.

Thank you!

**ETA: error codes (b/c I can't see all of them in the title)- 0x116, 0xD1, 0x490, 0x2, crcdisk.sys driver load error in Safe Mode. In Dell Diagnostics: 2000-0326 "LCD inverter: Unable to turn lamp on. Vendor: MPS", and 2000-0142 "Hard drive 1 self test unsuccessful". And finally, 0F00:1344.

Edited by Esssy, 18 December 2010 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
One question you say it is always hot did you check and clean as best as you can (with an air compress bottle) the inside of your laptop. Dust bunnies are culprit of many problems with computers and because of their small enclosure and not very good air flow laptop are prone to overheat easily. Since you said your guarantee is over you could try to open your laptop and clean it as much as possible specially the processor and graphic card fan (if any).

Hope that helps

Esssy

Esssy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the response. I do that on a regular basis, but I'll surely do it again while installing the new parts.

I bought a new hdd and an enclosure for the old one earlier today.... Now still looking around to learn more about that LCD inverter thing.

A new question: Could the graphics card really have caused all that damage, or was it all just an awful coincidence? I'm worried that, if it's the main culprit, it would mess up the new stuff too.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Now still looking around to learn more about that LCD inverter thing.

If you provide the model name/series number for the laptop we may be able to find you some info on replacing it, but for now switch on the laptop in a reasonably darkened room and then shine a flashlight into the screen, look closely into the screen and if you can see any desktop icons etc in the background this may suggest the back light/inverter has gone.

A new question: Could the graphics card really have caused all that damage, or was it all just an awful coincidence? I'm worried that, if it's the main culprit, it would mess up the new stuff too

Was your laptop the subject of a product recall due to the onboard Nvidea graphics chip melting the MB due to a design flaw with the soldering? The MB to LCD screen ribbon may have been affected by heat or become loose.

A bit more recently (3-4 days ago):
Updated the graphics card driver

Why did you update the drivers were you already having issues?
You should never update drivers unless you have to because you may end up with issues where you previously had none, it is an old adage if it broke don`t fix it!

Esssy

Esssy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I've been digging non-stop, and found some info on the inverter model, how to replace it, etc. Mine was one of the recalled Nvidia cards, and yes apparently the MB can be affected.

I didn't mean to update it anyway (although I always thought drivers must always be up to date- so thanks for the tip). It downloaded/installed with some Windows updates.

----
Here's a useful link to a Dell Community official post, for anyone going through the same problem:
http://en.community....5134-efjjio9fxl

Apparently, Dell is offering extended warranty for this problem specifically (if your laptop is one of the affected models, per Nvidia's website, and you haven't used up 60 months of warranty). They will NOT fix anything unrelated to the graphics card-MB issue (such as my HDD). Here are some tips on getting service: DO NOT CALL THEM. I spent hours on the phone, being transfered from one department to another, and no one had a clue what I was talking about! Chat with tech support online: tell them your problem,and if they say "no warranty blahblah", provide the link above. They will acknowledge your request and give you instructions on how to ship your laptop to a service center etc.

I'm really happy that Dell is doing this, but I think it's really low that they didn't officially notify us (or even their employees, apparently). AND I found out that this was announced in 2008!!!! Come on, now!

So I guess my issue is resolved, but if someone has other tips for anyone else reading, please share.

Edited by Esssy, 18 December 2010 - 12:24 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Very helpful post for anyone else that needs it so thank you Esssy for sharing the info :D

Esssy

Esssy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No problem! Also wanted to add: The tech specifically told me they will replace the motherboard, heat sink, and fans, along with anything else necessary to fix the display (inverter, ribbon, etc.).

Esssy

Esssy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Updating months later- after much grief with Dell over this problem (and them "upgrading" my graphics card as a "sorry"), my PC is starting to display the same symptoms once again! They insisted on only replacing the MB, even after they promised to do otherwise. I filed a complaint with BBB- they argued endlessly and wasted my time, mind you it was all done by someone in India too! Nothing against India or their CS, but you'd think BBB claims would be handled within the US! I knew that the system would eventually fail once again, and the claims agent insisted that these "new chip are unaffected by Nvidia's last recall!" (Ahahaha, yeah right.) Needless to say, I'm no longer looking for a solution but wanted to let people know how awful Dell service has become. What really pisses me off is that they played games with me until it was too late to file with Nvidia, which already closed its claims period- so I'm just completely out of luck with this laptop. :D

I have had 5 Dell systems over the years. No more. Lesson learned: Goodbye Dell, with your blatant lies to customers, and goodbye Nvidia, with your failing quality control.

I hope this helps anyone out there in a similar situation or looking to purchase a Dell system.

Cheers! :D
Esssy

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Sorry to hear this unfortunate news Esssy but thanks for posting the warning for the benefit of others.
Dell like many other companies is driven by profits for shareholders I`m afraid so keeping costs down is
always top of the agenda meaning customer care and quality products are secondary.