Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Safe Mode damage my laptop?

• Please log in to reply

ajayshah88

ajayshah88

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not a smart guy at all. I have Norton parental controls on my computer, and to bypass it i run my computer on safe mode....for a long time. I hope that I'm wrong, but I sell a light odor from the exhaust of the laptop and was wondering if running a laptop on safe mode for extended periods of times (several hours for months) can damage the hardware of the computer.

My computer started to glitch today, where the log in screen had fuzzed out areas, and the bottom of the screen was not even visible. I restarted it and its back to normal. Norton has yet to ever detect a thing. But I'm thinking after running a computer for so long on safe mode....my computer must be seriously compromised. I actually just formatted it. Do you guys think I'll have to again? :D

Many thanks,

Ajay

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Safe Mode will not damage your computer. Safe Mode runs with a minimum of drivers so actually it will put less strain on the system. The problem with laptops is they are almost impossible for normal users to clean properly and dust build up inside traps heat - never good. That may be your problem. I would remove all covers and removable devices and blast the all cracks and crevices with compressed air. Or take it to a shop for a professional cleaning.

ajayshah88

ajayshah88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thats great to hear! Many thanks.