Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can USB fry motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Amekaze

Amekaze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
howdy all,

So last night our new puppy decided my camera cord that was plugged into the USB port looked rather tasty. My boyfriend was on the computer when suddenly it stopped. Mouse, keyboard, everything just didn't work. Obviously he found the cable the dog ate and pulled it out. Tried to restart. Everything still has power, the fans in the tower work and all that jazz, the lights on the front come on, so he figures the motherboard got fried. So what I was wondering was, 1) Could the usb cord actually fry the motherboard, 2) if it can, could anything else be damaged, and 3) if I can just buy a new motherboard and plug it in and have it work.

Obviously I'm not super technical, ecspecially with hardware, and i'm not even 100% you can answer without seeing it. But i figured I'd ask for a better understanding of my situation before I call our computer friend over.

Thanks for any help you have.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
To the best of my knowledge a USB cannot short the whole motherboard, it might make the usb port to stop working after your dog ate the cord but that is it. If your motherboard had fried it would have shut down completely and not just froze like you said. What might have happened and depending on your power supply (cheap or good one) it might have cause a short in the power supply that is now causing your board to not have enough constant true power to start your motherboard and that even if like you said the fans work but a motherboard needs constant true regular power to initiate properly.

You can buy a new motherboard and use your current parts but unless it is the exact same motherboard nodel and brand you will have to reinstall your Windows VIsta installation from scratch because if a different board the chipset drivers and all other drivers that were created when Vista was installed will now be different and you will not be able to boot from your Hard Drive with your Vista installation.

I suggest to first try to reset your CMOS (BIOS settings) by removing the battery and shorting the Jumper (usually pins 2-3) and wait 5 minutes then put back them in its original position ( pins 1-2).

If that does not help try another Power supply.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Alzeimer, 17 December 2010 - 08:55 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

To the best of my knowledge a USB cannot short the whole motherboard, it might make the usb port to stop working after your dog ate the cord but that is it. If your motherboard had fried it would have shut down completely and not just froze like you said. What might have happened and depending on your power supply (cheap or good one) it might have cause a short in the power supply that is now causing your board to not have enough constant true power to start your motherboard and that even if like you said the fans work but a motherboard needs constant true regular power to initiate properly.

You can buy a new motherboard and use your current parts but unless it is the exact same motherboard nodel and brand you will have to reinstall your Windows VIsta installation from scratch because if a different board the chipset drivers and all other drivers that were created when Vista was installed will now be different and you will not be able to boot from your Hard Drive with your Vista installation.

I suggest to first try to reset your CMOS (BIOS settings) by removing the battery and shorting the Jumper (usually pins 2-3) and wait 5 minutes then put back them in its original position ( pins 1-2).

Hope that helps.

bonne réponse

but, i'd like to add a caveat. seeing as the USB ports are connected to the motherboard, the short circuit and subsequent overvoltage across the USB header could short out enough components on a motherboard to make it useless since the USB power is fed through the board to get to the USB port.

it's more likely that it's the PSU, but it's not impossible for it to be the motherboard.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Hope that helps.

bonne réponse

but, i'd like to add a caveat. seeing as the USB ports are connected to the motherboard, the short circuit and subsequent overvoltage across the USB header could short out enough components on a motherboard to make it useless since the USB power is fed through the board to get to the USB port.

it's more likely that it's the PSU, but it's not impossible for it to be the motherboard.

Thanks dsenette for the rectification, this is why I am here, to help others and also to learn.