Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking my graphics card

• Please log in to reply

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey guys! :D

I have a ATI Palit 4850 512mb graphics card in my desktop

I feel that the upcoming games nowadays really forces my card to overclock a bit further

Using the ATI catalyst control center... I made use of the ATI overdrive to overclock it... I randomly selected some values and test the custom clocks.

Even though it said passed whenever I played games...the computer just crashes

Can I have a better stable overclocking value??? And yea I really do not have much idea how stable it is to overclock it....

Thanks ;)

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I randomly selected some values and test the custom clocks.

I am no expert at overlocking but just the fact of your statement i know you are taking chances, when you overlock it should always be at a very minimal and slow rate so you can test in everyday use the stability of your overlocking.

The reason it crashes might be many since overlocking means your card will demand more power it may due to your PSU not able to supply the constant new power demand your card now needs.

It may also be due to your card overheating after a certain period of time.

I hope you have not taxed your card and that you will find a way to fix your problem.

Good luck.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Tip: Overclocking (pushing) too much|too far|too fast can cause permanent damage, (death).

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey thanks guys for replying ;)

The thing is i increased the values by a little and it still crashes!!!! :D Why is that so??? Such a little overclock the graphic card can't handle???

prob.jpg

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not all components are overclockable. This applies even to graphics cards.

The most likely situation is the card you have is one from, and I use this term lightly, "faulty" batch. by this I mean the card is unable to run at the higher specifications listed down by AMD, so what usually happens in this case is that the card is tested at lower specs for the cheaper/less powerful cards, and so is locked to that spec and sold as such. If that is the case the card will never be overclockable as it's clearly unable to run at faster speeds,

The same process also applies to processors. By working in this fashion the waste is far less.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Apparently the manufacturer already has it running as fast as it will reliably go. (Which does make sense if you think about it).

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Awww... So means that's its maximum potential???
I ran call of duty black ops game for this in low settings mode( it's hopeless for normal and high settings...) and I still have lag issues when it comes to too many explosions scenes and extreme detail-ings

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Ohhh and regards to Neil jones... Does that mean I got a faulty graphic card???

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Put it back to the default values and test your card on a demanding game that you were able to play without any problems before and see if your card will work properly.

You may or may have not damage your card, testing it will tell you.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
If it was set to the original value not it did not cause any crashes

However if tuned a little it crashes xX

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Which means that particular card is maxed out with the original value.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Ohhh and regards to Neil jones... Does that mean I got a faulty graphic card???

No.

Means you can't overclock it.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Oh my.... means i can't overclock it....sigh.... :D

Thanks ;)

RocketWild

RocketWild

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Agreed, i at first suspected that the card crashing was from temp. related issues but i see that youre running at 39*c. is this on-load or idle? what is your temp when "on load" (gaming? as well, OCing is, IMHO, a bad idea without aftermarket fans and COPPER heatsinks. on a side note, you should centralize your "iso hunt" files as to not include them in screenies such as this one.

Edited by RocketWild, 22 December 2010 - 05:20 AM.