Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about Memory Modules

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
I have a client who's computers motherboard is finish (the Gateway from previous post) and he wants me to find another motherboard to fit his old computer parts and i notice that his memory are 2 x 1gb Samsung PC2-4200U 533mhz. (first time I have seen ram defined as U whisch I think means Unregistered or Unbuffered)

My question is will those modules be compatible on a board that accepts regular DIMM or does they only fit specific motherboards.

Thanks in advance for your prompt answers.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PC4200U is the bog-standard unbuffered memory, and to all intents and purposes is exactly the same as PC4200 (without the U on the end).

Registered PC memory is clearly marked as such on the memory itself and it will usually be documented if the board requires registered memory, which most home PCs don't.

In theory you should be able to use standard DDR2 memory, PC4200 through to PC6400 for maximum compatibility. Most modern boards don't care. Most of them will baulk if you try and and mix different speeds of memory.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
A big thank you for your answer,

This is what I had gathered through investigating but was not a 100% sure, they will work just do not mix them with register modules, if U stay with U if adding more.

It will help my search for a compatible board and save money to my client so two happy people.

Thanks again