Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HP Nc6000 Boot problems

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,
I have an HP Nc6000 Business Notebook. When I try to start it up, I hear the fan, sometimes it will light the lights and sometimes not, and ocassionally it will get to the HP screen before shutting down. Usually, it will shut down within 15 to 20 seconds. Any sugestions what to do? New here so I need a lot of help. Thanks!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry for delayed response

When I try to start it up, I hear the fan, sometimes it will light the lights and sometimes not

I regret to tell you that it looks very like a hardware fault,rather than file corruption.
As you say sometimes it will light the lights I would on the evidence avaiable be looking at - power supply, - see if it is any different on battery only - or on mains power only.

Or it could be a component fault inside the computer. If it tends to light the lights - as you say - when booted from cold - ie not used for a while and then will not do so again until it has stood, this COULD be a faulty capacitor on the motherboard.

Do you have the owners manual. I am not familair with this notebook, but on the base of some laptops/notebooks there is a panel, held by VERY small screws. If you take this off you may be able to check that the ram is seated properly, that is the memory and/or there may be another panel to gain access to the hard drive, if so we can check that.
Some laptops/notebooks do not have these panels and removal of the keyboard is necessary.

TRY the battery and mains PSU first.
Post back and include if there is as I have asked a particular pattern to when the lights do light and when they do not.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 December 2010 - 05:27 PM.