Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access specific websites

• Please log in to reply

cosine25

cosine25

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I really hope someone can help, this is driving me crazy! Over the last few months I started having occasional problems accessing a specific website (livejournal.com). I thought this was a problem on the website's end as the issue would last for a couple of hours and then resolve itself. Over the last month this has been happening more and more frequently until now the page is timing out nearly every night for 5-6 hours at a time. The website technicians tell me that the site is operating fine. Other people can also access it at the same time that I'm having problems. I have no problems with any other website except this one.

My OS is Windows XP Home and my router is a Siemens Gigaset SE587. I mainly use Firefox, but the same problem occurs with Chrome and IE. I get the same issue on both my PC (wired) and my laptop (wireless), although my laptop has no problems accessing the site at work. This makes me think it's a problem with my home broadband connection, although my ISP says it's working fine. I've tried routing my DNS through various public servers, this solved the problem the first time I tried it but it was happening again the next day.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to solve this?

Edited by cosine25, 17 December 2010 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
What happens if you reset the router?

cosine25

cosine25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply. I've tried resetting the router and even using a different router but the same problem occurs. However, I have just discovered something interesting- if I plug the router into the master phone socket, the problem goes away. If I plug it back into an extension socket I can't connect to the website again. Utterly baffled as to why my extension sockets are discrimminating against one specific website! I don't know how to solve this except for re-wiring the entire phone system, with no guarantee that it will solve anything.

Is there anyone who can suggest why the extension socket might be an issue for just one site?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With all due respect I don't see how when you disconnect your extensions you can get onto a website that you can't with them connected. It can't be a factor, because that sort of website filter behaviour can only be achieved either at router level, ISP level or software level. Your telephone extension is, to be honest, irrelevant. It's kind of like saying my car will only start if I stand in a certain place every time. Where you stand is irrelevant to whether the car starts or not and there has to be other factors involved.

Not quite sure what to suggest to be honest. Are there are there are any other devices on the extension?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, cosine25. Have you confirmed this more than once? It could be just a coincidence or something.

It's a weird issue. I'll do some research for you and see what I come up with.

cosine25

cosine25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, sorry for the late reply. The current situation is that after a week of working fine on the master socket the problem started up again on the second modem. I phoned my ISP who still didn't know what was causing it but passed the case upwards for investigation. I'm still waiting on the results. Since then I plugged a third modem back into the extension socket and lo and behold, I can now access the website again.

At this point I'm wondering if I managed to get two faulty modems (just my luck) and if the move downstairs to the master socket caused one of them to start working again briefly for some reason. Seems odd that they'd both have the same issue though. Hopefully I'll have no other problems with the third modem, fingers crossed!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
But the modem doesn't handle website requests. It's simply a device to allow you to get on the internet.
I would argue if it's a problem with the modem it would have affected all websites to some degree, not just one particular site.

interlocked

interlocked

• Pip
  • 1 posts
oh my gosh haha I have the exact same problem!
cannot solve it so im glad to find this thread.

hmm have you found a solution? able to share!?! :DD