Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can not read HDD files

• Please log in to reply

KenPC

KenPC

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I removed the HDD from my daughter's laptop because it would not boot. My plan was to put it in a USB connected carrier and download the files to another computer and then reformat the HDD. So when I connected it to another computer in the USB carrier using windowsXP, I could see all of the file directory structure and filenames, BUT I could NOT copy or read any of the files (all I got was an error message "pop-up" that said it could not read the file). I am assuming that this is also why the HDD would not boot the laptop, probably got a bug that messed up something (just guessing though).

So my question is: are there any tools generally available that will read through this HDD and try to rebuild or make the files readable again (this does assume that the file sectors are not totally corrupted)? This is a NTFS 60GB drive with 2 partitions and probably about 500 files that I am trying to "save". I also have a windows7 pc that I could use to connect to the HDD carrier if that would be better. Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hi KenPC,
Check out the software at the attached links one of them may help you retrieve the data, Recuva has a good success rate http://www.snapfiles...tarecovery.HTML or http://3d2f.com/tags...sh/disk/repair/ I hope one of these helps and best of luck.

KenPC

KenPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hi phillpower2,

Wow ... Thank you so much. Recuva worked great ... seems to have "recovered" all the "unreadable" files (plus a bunch more of previously "deleted" files). I recovered the files to my other computer via the USB connection and it took about 50 minutes start to finish. All that is left to do now is reformat this HDD and then reinstall it into the laptop. Reloading the software will be a pain (aka time consuming) - I have had to do that before for her, but the great news is the data files are all intact.

Thanks again,

Ken

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
You are more than welcome Ken, I am happy to hear you were able to retrieve the data,thank you for letting us know how you achieved it :D