Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death for windows 7

• Please log in to reply

moofasa

moofasa

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi,

This is my first post ever, so I hope this works!

I bought a brand new toshiba laptop this september, so it has windows 7 on it. Recently, whenever I turn on my computer, it takes really long to start, and when it does, it gives a blue screen of death at random times (it says STOP) and the computer restarts. If I go into normal mode, the same thing happens (screen of death occurs, windows restarts). but if I do safe mode, it works fine. the last time I saw it gave a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message or something like that. I've run malware anti bytes and it found no errors in safe mode. windows even did its own disk check (I let the whole thing run), but still the message came. Now when I open the laptop, it started working fine, but I'm scared of turning it off, scared that it'll do the same thing. what should I do? I'm not tech savvy at all, but I don't want to pay so much for a tech to look at it if it turns out to be a really simple issue. Any advice?

I put all my important documents on a USB in case anything fishy happens, phew!

oh I forgot to mention that my laptop doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive, so I recently bought and installed an LG one. Could that be doing something?

Edited by moofasa, 17 December 2010 - 07:23 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

oh I forgot to mention that my laptop doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive, so I recently bought and installed an LG one. Could that be doing something?

External USB?

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes, it's an LG Portable Super Multi Drive. I hook it up via USB

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it hooked up while booting?
If so unhook it and boot up, does the error happen then?

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Last night, the laptop was not hooked up to the drive, but stiill the laptop just kept restarting. the error would come, and it would restart again. right now, I've had the laptop on for more than an hour, and nothing has happened yet (phew). but I'm scared of restarting :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
9:54:29 PM Critical: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

9:55:10 PM Error: The previous system shutdown at 9:52:43 PM on ‎16/‎12/‎2010 was unexpected.

9:55:45 PM Error: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
cdrom

9:55:57 PM Warning: The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

9:56:10 PM Error: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff800030a5591). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 121610-63773-01.

10:00:57 PM Error: The previous system shutdown at 9:59:44 PM on ‎16/‎12/‎2010 was unexpected

10:01:01 PM Error: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff800030b0591). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 121610-30217-01.

10:00:44 PM Critical: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

10:01:03 PM Error: The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

10:01:03 PM Error: The DNS Client service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

10:01:03 PM Error: The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:

10:01:03 PM Error: The Network Store Interface Service service depends on the NSI proxy service driver. service which failed to start because of the following error:

10:01:11 PM Error: The Workstation service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

10:01:12 PM Error: The IP Helper service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

10:01:12 PM Error: The SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service depends on the Redirected Buffering Sub Sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error:

10:01:12 PM Error: The SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error:

10:01:12 PM Error: The Network Location Awareness service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

10:01:19 PM Error: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
cdrom

10:01:22 PM Error: DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

10:01:35 PM Error: DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

10:01:45 PM Error: DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

10:01:45 PM Error: DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netprofm with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{A47979D2-C419-11D9-A5B4-001185AD2B89}

10:01:45 PM Error: DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

10:04:07 PM Error: DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service fdPHost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{145B4335-FE2A-4927-A040-7C35AD3180EF}

10:04:07 PM Error: The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:

10:05:18 PM Information: The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the restart of computer REDTOSHIBA on behalf of user RedToshiba\Sarah for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: restart

***after a lot of "Information"***

10:08:08 PM Critical: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

10:08:27 PM Error: The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. (WHAT DEVICE ATTACHED TO THE SYSTEM??? my CD drive???)

I also see that on October 5, 2010, I also got an error that says: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
cdrom
SRTSP

I've attached a file showing how the errors looked like! so many of them :D

Attached Thumbnails

• error files.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: REDTOSHIBA
windows version: Windows 7 , 6.1, build: 7600
windows dir: C:\windows
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ II Neo K125 Processor AMD586, level: 16
1 logical processors, active mask: 1
RAM: 4022013952 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2002104320

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 12/17/2010 4:32:08 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\121710-70933-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80003062591)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 12/17/2010 4:32:08 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ataport.sys (ataport!AtaPortInitialize+0x20A6)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80003062591)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\ataport.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: ATAPI Driver Extension
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

Advertisements

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi,

I ran the elevated command prompt, and I did the sfc/ scannow command. The result said:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job, that means the system files are intact and working.

At this time it looks like you are going to have to do some rebooting so we can check the memory and the hd to make sure there is no problem there.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
um..I have a toshiba laptop. Should I still do it? I'm also thinking of completely uninstalling my portable CD/DVD drive, and then re-installing it. Is that a good idea?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try the Hitachi or the Sea Tools cd iso version of either should work for Toshiba brands.
We will wait on the cd\dvd player question for now.

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
So I didn't have a CD and just had a DVD. So I plugged my portable CD/DVD drive to the laptop, burned the sea tools .iso file on a dvd, and restarted the computer. It came to the blue screen that said IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL blah blah error, and my computer crashed! Now whenever I go to normal mode, the same screen comes and it crashes and restarts! the laptop is fine in safe mode though! I really need help!! I bought my laptop in september brand new :D Stupid best buy ;)

I tried again now. when the computer restarts, it goes right to windows! The DVD isn't doing anything. I'm really confused as to how this works!

Edited by moofasa, 19 December 2010 - 06:50 PM.