Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death for windows 7

• Please log in to reply

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I never expected this on a laptop I just bought in september :D I don't even do any gaming or anything crazy on it. Just the occassional movies on my portable CD/DVD player, or just browsing, word processing, and msn. That's it! It's not a malware problem or virus is it? Just a problem with some driver?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we have a startup issue for sure.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Okay I'll do it. You know that Microsoft Windows Operating System is a start up item as well? Should I uncheck that as well?

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Can you tell me which one of these I should not uncheck? You told me that for laptops, make sure that I don't uncheck any keyboard or touch pad devices, so what from the following should I not uncheck? thanks

This is what appears in Startup in msconfig:

Toshiba Power Saver
Toshiba Zooming Utility
Toshiba Flash Cards
Realtek HD Audio Manager
HD Audio Background Process
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
Toshiba HDD Protection
SmartFaceVWatcher
Toshiba eco Utility
Toshiba HDD SSD Alert
Toshiba PC Health Monitor
Toshiba Volume Regulator
Message Center
Toshiba ReelTime
Microsoft Windows Operating System
Microsoft Windows Operating System
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Reader and Adobe Manager
Catalyst Control Center
SVPWUTIL Application
HWSetup
KeNotify Application
Toshiba Sleep
Toshiba Service Station
Toshiba Web Camera Application
Symantec Security Technologies
RealPlayer (32-bit)
GrooveMonitor Utility

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
are you sure it's a start up problem? Even if the error comes long after the desktop has appeared and the icons have appeared?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look at all your errors.
They all point to a Driver or Hardware issue.
Your HD checks out
Memory checks out
System File Checker checks out
Chkdsk checks out

So now we are left with either the a Driver problem or a OS problem.
If you don't want to believe its a driver then we do a Repair Installation on the OS and see if that will repair the issue.
So lets do a Repair Installation by following the steps HERE.
Please read and follow all instructions carefully.

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok, so thats if its an OS problem. If its a driver problem, what do I do?

Also I wanted to say I really really appreciate you following the problem. I'm really glad you're devoting so much time to helping me. It means a lot :D

Edit: Okay, I'll do the repair installation now. I so hope this works!

Edited by moofasa, 29 December 2010 - 08:07 PM.

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
3. Place your Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD drive, while still in Windows 7 (Step 1), and click on the Run setup.exe option in the AutoPlay window from within the currently installed Windows 7. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: If the AutoPlay window does not open, then open the drive folder in Computer and run the setup.exe file.

I don't have a Windows 7 Installation DVD. Windows 7 came pre-installed.

Is this the same thing? http://www.sevenforu...tup-repair.html

Edited by moofasa, 29 December 2010 - 08:14 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well this is going to be a bigger issue now.
Without a Original Installation disk there is no way to do a Repair Installation.
The system most likely has a Recovery Partition but this in most cases will format the system and take everything back to factory new. All data and programs will be erased.

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Would you know if there is a free program that can update my drivers? Is there anything left that I can do other than a reformat?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without knowing exactly which driver is causing the issue it is going to be hard to tell which is the one you need to update or in some cases actually roll back to a older version.
In post 53 you linked a Startup Repair.
You can give that a try as it won't hurt anything.

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I did StartUp Repair, but it said it couldn't solve the problem automatically. oh wellz.

there's something weird that I discovered. look at these errors in Event Viewer:

The SRTSPL service failed to start due to the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

and ESPECIALLY:

Error loading Symantec real time Anti-Virus driver. (IS THIS THE FAULTY DRIVER?? :D)
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SRTSP

look at the attachment below. It says Error Loading Symantec anti-virus driver, and then Critical happens, and the system crashes. Have I found something? ;)

Should I completely un-install symantec end point protection, and just keep something like Avira antivirus?

Attached Thumbnails

• print screen.jpg

Edited by moofasa, 29 December 2010 - 10:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

srtsp.sys file information

The process Symantec AutoProtect belongs to the software Symantec Real Time Storage or Symantec Real Time Storage Protection by Symantec Corporation (www.symantec.com).

Description: File srtsp.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 279,088 bytes (58% of all occurrence), 278,576 bytes, 243,368 bytes, 247,608 bytes, 247,096 bytes.http://www.file.net/process/srtsp.sys.html
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program has no visible window. You can uninstall this program in the control panel. srtsp.sys is a Verisign signed file. The file is digitally signed. The service has no detailed description. It is not a Windows core file. srtsp.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 6% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.

Go into msconfig startup and disable all Norton\symantec entries. Reboot and let me know if this stops the issue.

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
No it didn't. I even un-installed Symantec End point Protection (because I can install it again) and the error still came.

Remember how you told me to do this, but I was hesitant...

"OK then we have a startup issue for sure.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results"

well I did it. I unchecked everything other than Windows Operating System and Synaptics Pointing Device, and the error did not come :D I re-started TWICE, and the error still didn't come ;)

So I guess I will re-check things one by one, and we'll catch the culprit that way eh.

Edited by moofasa, 30 December 2010 - 01:12 PM.

moofasa

moofasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Also, a question for you. In Event Viewer it keeps saying:

Error:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
cdrom

I don't HAVE a cd rom! Why does it keep wanting to load a cdrom? Is there anyway I can disable this?

Also what does this mean?

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000cbc, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff800030d14d8). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 123010-38719-01.

cuz I get THAT, and then the CRITICAL message that the computer crashed in Event Viewer.

Edited by moofasa, 30 December 2010 - 01:18 PM.