Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD/CD rewritable drive will not recoginize blank CD-R disk

• Please log in to reply

HB1234

HB1234

• Pip
  • 7 posts
For about a year now, my DVD/CD burner does not recognize blank CD-R's when I load them. It does regonize disk that have something on them. I tried burning songs through iTunes and Net Zero, but both software sites indicate that a blank disc is needed when there is already one inside.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,040 posts
Hi HB1234 :D
Have you tried another brand of blank disk?
As strange or as unlikely as it may seem some optical drives are temperamental and will not work with a certain brand, swap one of your blank disks with a friend who has a different brand if you can, if not purchase a single disk to try, whether it works or not it will prove or disprove if it is the issue.

HB1234

HB1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried three different brands. Sony CD-R 80 min, Memorex CD-R 80 min and Maxell CD-R 80 min. None of them were recognizable by the drive.:-(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,040 posts
That leaves the drive or the burning software, try another burning software first such as http://www.nero.com/...ds-nbl-free.php if this doesn`t work you may need to uninstall and then re-install the optical drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
May be the cd burning side of the drive is bad. It still reads cd's and dvd's?
What about burning dvd's, does that still work?

HB1234

HB1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I put a blank DVD+R DL in and the drive recognized it as a blank disk. Then i put the blank CD-R in and the drive did not recognize the blank disc.Weird. I tried Nero, but Nero did not recognize the blank CD-R as well.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
New, brand name CD/DVD Burners, (including Newegg's "Customer Choice Award Winner"), start at a mere $16.99 ... with Free shipping:
http://www.newegg.co...e=Free Shipping

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like the burning side is completely gone then.

HB1234

HB1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok, Thanks guys. I'll buy a new drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you want to test it to make sure try it another system. If still no joy it's the drive.
If it works there then phillpower may be correct with his advice.

HB1234

HB1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Taking Phillpower's advice, how do I uninstall and then re-install the optical drive for my DVD/CD re-writter drive?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to

1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4: Expand the entry named DVD\CD-ROM drives
5: There you will Right Click on your drive and then click on Uninstall
6: Now close Device Manger and Reboot.
7: When windows restarts it should now notify you it has found a new device. It should reinstall it with no problem.
8: Try to see if it will recognize the blank disks now

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,040 posts
Couple more things for you to try http://support.micro..._drive_problems and;
There is a setting under the drives properties to allow for DVD-RAM recordings, this is enabled by default but will not let you burn a CD or DVD in standard format, go into the drives setting's and disable the DVD-RAM settings and see if that helps.