Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

few queries

• Please log in to reply

wossie

wossie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am a bit concerned about a few things,im running an e machine that is a few years old.I have 2 h/d`s one is used to store,the other to boot up,something is taking up h/d space on the boot up drive.
I have scanned pc with kaspersky 2009 but i get crashes at around 85% last scan,took 20 hours plus before i gave up.
Removed the storage drive,kaspersky can scan in safe mode/running mode boot drive within a hour, finds nothing.

The drive is 70 gig and has 15 gig free space ,ive noticed that im loosing space daily, i use crap cleaner,cleaned up space,deleted system restore points,i just cant see whats eating the drive. I can see when hovering over,files that show more than 10 gig, but when opening files i cant see anything so big, also have hidden files to show, in folder options.

Also ie crashes on me alot of the time

hd red light is lit most of the time also

Could do with some advice

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Since you already turned on the option to view HIDDEN FILES have you unchecked in folder option the choice HIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM FILES (RECOMMENDED) this will permit you to see the hidden system files and might help you to see if those files are taken your space on the drive.

On my C: drive pagefile.sys takes about 3gb of space.

wossie

wossie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thanks for reply, my page file reads 1.4 gig

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
After turning this option does your filer size count ad up or does it still looks like you are missing files compare to the amount of space supposably used.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have only 15 gigabytes free on a system disk of 70 gigabytes then you must have non-system, or programs stored on this hard disk. Please do the following:

1: Right-click on drive C > properties > tools > check now > check the two boxes > start. You will be asked to reboot the computer. Please do.

2: Download Temporary File Cleaner from here. Don't change any setting and run the program. It may clean a ton of files. Don't worry.

3: Run disk defragmentation.

4: Download WinDirStat from here. Run the program and see what happens with your drive content. Please paste a screen shot of the log.

wossie

wossie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok the temp file remover gave me back 40 gig :D

Any advice on explorer 7 freezing ?

i`m getting this when trying to upload screen shot.

Error No file was selected for upload

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download and install Internet Explorer 8.0 from Microsoft download Center. See if it makes any difference. If the problem remains open IE and click Tools > Manage Add-Ons. Right-click each of the Add-ons on the list and disable all of them. See if the problem is solved. If it does - re-enable the Add-Ons, one at a time, checking the browser after each one. This will help to identify the culprit.

If still no good update Adobe Flash Player.

As a last resort consider switching to Google Chrome or to FireFox.

wossie

wossie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thanks for your help.