Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen on startup

• Please log in to reply

skaterboy123

skaterboy123

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I hav a Dell inspiron 1501 and my computer has been crashing and getting the blue screen of death on bootup.yesterday i started up my computer it was fine then after a few minutes it was lagging and i decided to shut it down and restart but when i did it got to the loading screen and it just crashed. It has happened everytime when i reboot and i don't have the cd it came with and is there a way to fix this without the cd.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this your topic also HERE?
Same description and issue so I'm just asking.

BSOD doesn't tell us what it is.
Does your system reboot when this happens?
Does the BSOD flash quickly so you can't read it?
Try the below.
  • Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

skaterboy123

skaterboy123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it doesnt say "Auto Start On Error"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disable Auto Start on Error?
I'm not sure of the wording but that is the one you want. That will stop the BSOD from flashing so you can read it and supply the requested info.

skaterboy123

skaterboy123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok i found it and clicked it and it stoped the flashing

Edited by skaterboy123, 18 December 2010 - 02:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the BSOD stop so you can get the information now?
You need to post the technical and the stop code so I can find the reason for it.

skaterboy123

skaterboy123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the stop code: c0000218 and it doesnt show a technical code.

Edited by skaterboy123, 18 December 2010 - 03:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0xC0000218: UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A necessary Registry hive file couldn’t be loaded. The file may be corrupt or missing (requiring either an Emergency Repair Disk or a Windows reinstallation). The Registry files may have been corrupted because of hard disk corruption or some other hardware problem. A driver may have corrupted the Registry data while loading into memory, or the memory where the Registry is loading may have a parity error (turn off the external cache and check the physical RAM).

Wow a lot of diagnostics we need to perform to find which of the above is the actual culprit.
So lets start with the hardware and see if it is the issue.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions