Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Driver Has Stopped Responding

• Please log in to reply

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok, i have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 display adapter.

And heres the problem: a while back, when i turned on my laptop, i would log in and it would lag a lot and finally display the screen for a few seconds, then go black, then come back up, and go black again, and this would repeat like 10 times. eventually it just got worse to where, now i have to turn off the laptop and sign in again, hoping that it would come up without giving me the error message "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

ive searched all over the internet, but i cant seem to find an answer. if you have any advice or need more information, please reply!

Advertisements

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi there,
Just to throw out some ideas and get some more information.

Can you boot into safe mode?
Have tried updating to the most recent video driver?
Did this happen after a windows update or after any other significant event like a software install that you can pinpoint?
Have you tried System Restore?

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i havent tried booting into safe mode lately,
i have tried to update to the most recent video drivers multiple times,
i think it started doing it after i updated to windows 7, but i cant say for sure. i know it got worse after the install, if it wasnt happening before,
and i havent tried a system restore because of the above, i dont want it to restore to vista and have to reinstall 7

thanks for the help

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
When you say you have tried updating multiple times, I guess that means you have been unsuccesful in updating them? What happens when you try to update? Are you getting the driver directly from ATI?

I was not aware that you upgraded to Win7. I would definately check to see if there is a Win7 driver for your device at the ATI website.

Do you need help or directions on how to get the right driver?

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i have the right driver, i successfully updated and then it kept happening, so i tried updating again and again, but im pretty sure its up to date.

and i did download the windows 7 version, but maybe theres some files from the vista still around screwing it up

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are using the 10.3 version it has been known to be a bit buggy.
I suggest going to the version right before. Also don't get the catalyst package but only the driver itself and try it that way.