Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP 0x0000004F

• Please log in to reply

bottrop

bottrop

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Today i wanted to start my computer and it was booting. Before starting vista it began a repair program which i think failed and it restarted. Now it starts and right before gettin into Vista it gives me the BSOD with STOP 0x0000004F error code.

It seems this is a rare code as I cant find any useful info on the net. Tried all like repair return to previous install safe mode... all. Only thing to do is reinstall vista but I think I would lose all my 700gigs of data/installed games and progs. So I have this external disk on which i installed vista and now i can boot again so it doesnt seem to be a hardware problem. Even though i can start out fresh and still have all data, I'm still wondering if there are some files or so i can copy over to get the original disk to boot again.

what does STOP 0x0000004F error mean? Is it fixable?

greetz bottrop

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
As with most Windows stop errors, there can be several possible causes. However, since you've successfully managed to install Vista on external drive it may point to the hard drive containing your original Vista installation as being faulty/beginning to fail. If that's so, the only fix is to replace it with a new drive.

All the major hard drive manufacturers supply free diagnostic software via their website. Links are here:
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Download the DOS version of the testing software, usually supplied as an 'ISO' file from which you can make a bootable CD.
You can than test the drive by booting the PC from that CD.

If you are unable to determine the drive maker, use the Seagate Seatools (DOS version) as that can test any make of drive.
However, it's still preferrable to use the drive maker's own diagnostic software when possible.