Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering a large file to a Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply

750steve

750steve

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Guys, im trying to put a large file onto a Flash Drive so i can plug it into my blu-ray player (FAT compatible) & watch home movies. However, windows is saying my file is too large. I've heard that FAT32 files cant be more than 4GB, is this true?

If it is possible to re-format to get the flash drive to take larger files please tell me how to do it.

I'm running Windows 7 & the flash drive is 32GB.

Advertisements

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
750steve,
I would be glad to try and help.

So you are saying that your 32gb flash drive is currently FAT32?

There is indeed a limit on FAT32 file sizes. There is a pretty good article here if your interested.

Is the actual windows error saying "File is too large for destination file system?"

Assuming that you did re-format your flash drive to NTFS, can your blue ray player also read that?

Mike

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Hi Mike.....Nice Avatar!!!

Yes, the drive is currently FAT32, i haven't reformatted as when i right clicked on the drive & 'format' in 'My Computer' it gave a few options & i didn't know what to pick, especially under the 'allocation unit size' tab

I have no idea if the blu ray player will recognise NTFS but it's worth a try, i'm guessing it wont though as there is no mention of it in the literature with the blu-ray player

Edited by 750steve, 19 December 2010 - 12:17 PM.

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey,
There is a pretty good description with pictures how to do it here.

The default allocation size unit should work fine for you.

Let me know how it works out for you. One if that error goes away after changing your drive to NTFS, and two if your player actually recognizes the file and plays it.

If you need more help, post back. I will be around.

Mike

Edited by Mdenton45, 19 December 2010 - 12:39 PM.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
I followed the steps in that article & 'Windows was unable to complete the format' message appeared.

I just left the default allocation size to what the process seemed to pick, 4096 bytes i believe

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hmmm,
How about we try it another way?

• Plug in your usb drive
  • Click the start button
  • Type diskmgmt.msc in the run box
  • Click the dismgmt.msc
  • When the disc management window opens up, right click on your usb drive and choose format.

See if it completes without the error this way.

You could also try a free tool such as this to try to format it outside of Win.

Edited by Mdenton45, 19 December 2010 - 01:26 PM.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Hmmm.....strange. The 1st way didn't work & the 2nd suggestion added a program to Firefox which i didn't know how to work!!! (Sorry im a bit silly!!)

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
750steve,
Sorry it took a little bit to respond.

The second option should take you to the website Softpedia. Here is the link again.

The 2nd suggestion added a program to Firefox which i didn't know how to work!!!

Not sure how it would add a program to Firefox.

You should see a link on the right that says Softpedia Secure Download (US) Exe.
That will download an exe file that you can start to format your flash drive.

• Start the program (If using Vista or Win7 right click the exe and choose run as administrator)
  • Select your flash drive in the device drop down box
  • Change the file system to NTFS
  • Click start.

I tested it out on one of my drives with Win7 and it works for me.

Let me know how you make out.

Edited by Mdenton45, 21 December 2010 - 04:56 PM.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Hmmmm.... i'm starting to think there's something up with this flash drive!!! Not working for me??!!

Tell me, if i buy a 1TB external drive will i have the same problem regarding file size?

Edited by 750steve, 21 December 2010 - 05:40 PM.

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well,
I have a 500gb external hard drive that is NTFS and don't have any problems with large file sizes.

I don't think that would solve your original problem of being able to play files through your FAT compatible blue ray player though.

If you are still trying to solve that problem it would be cheaper to buy another flash drive to test your theory on whether your current one is bad, and then test it out on your blue ray once you get it formatted with NTFS.

If it works and your blue ray does indeed play NTFS formatted device, then you could invest in the more expensive and larger drive.

Hope it works out for you. Sorry I couldn't find a magic fix for you yet.

:D

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I've heard that FAT32 files cant be more than 4GB, is this true?

Limitations of the FAT32 File System
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

You cannot create a file larger than (2^32)-1 bytes (this is one byte less than 4 GB) on a FAT32 partition.

2^32 = 4,294,967,296 bytes. 4,294,967,296-1 = 4,294,967,295 bytes (4GB - 1 byte)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If i can put my two cents in, You do not specify what is the format of your file but i am guessing it is a video format if it is over 4gb.

If your blue ray does not read NTFS file system but only FAT format why don't you reauthor your video file into a fornat that as smaller files like a dvd movie format (.vob), with some programs you can decide what is the size of the files (VOB).

Unless your blue ray cannot read if they are split but only as one file, i would try that.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

If i can put my two cents in, You do not specify what is the format of your file but i am guessing it is a video format if it is over 4gb.

If your blue ray does not read NTFS file system but only FAT format why don't you reauthor your video file into a fornat that as smaller files like a dvd movie format (.vob), with some programs you can decide what is the size of the files (VOB).

Unless your blue ray cannot read if they are split but only as one file, i would try that.

That sounds like the only option if it comes to it........split the files & put them into one folder. The Blu Ray player should play the 'next' file when it finishes playing the current one. I didn't want to go to that hassle but if it needs to be done i'm going to have to do it.

The files i have are AVI files, High Definition, that's why they are taking up alot of space & are such a large file size

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

That sounds like the only option if it comes to it........split the files & put them into one folder. The Blu Ray player should play the 'next' file when it finishes playing the current one. I didn't want to go to that hassle but if it needs to be done i'm going to have to do it.

The files i have are AVI files, High Definition, that's why they are taking up alot of space & are such a large file size

Actually what your blue ray should read is the IFO file that tells the player in what order to read the .vob files this way no interruptions between files, it would be like making a dvd like the one you buy but they would be on a flash drive instead of a dvd disc