Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How is my 2nd computer getting the Inet?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I have DSL connected to my computer with an ethernet cable. I also have the modem connected to a G wireless router that I used to get my wife's computer on. She is down one floor, on the other side of the house. Sometimes it is as fast as my connection, other times it is really bad. Her computer is on WXP, mine is W7; if that matters.

I put a powerline ethernet on and find it is much better, most of the time. Sometimes it seems to slow down also.

Now for my question...
When both the powerline ethernet and the wireless adapter are enabled, and the computer is connected to the Inet, which device is it using? Hopefully it uses the better one, but that is probably too much to ask.

And a related question...
Her computer shows the powerline connection and the wireless adapter; but also an Internet Gateway. When I disabled it, it killed her connections, but also the connection between my son's laptop and the wireless router. Is the Internet Gateway the wireless router? Seems odd she can disable it from her computer. If not, what is it and why does it affect the laptop also?

Thanks.

Advertisements

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
My linkThe Waiting Room

I have DSL connected to my computer with an ethernet cable. I also have the modem connected to a G wireless router that I used to get my wife's computer on. She is down one floor, on the other side of the house. Sometimes it is as fast as my connection, other times it is really bad. Her computer is on WXP, mine is W7; if that matters.

I put a powerline ethernet on and find it is much better, most of the time. Sometimes it seems to slow down also.

Now for my question...
When both the powerline ethernet and the wireless adapter are enabled, and the computer is connected to the Inet, which device is it using? Hopefully it uses the better one, but that is probably too much to ask.

Her computer shows the powerline connection and the wireless adapter; but also an Internet Gateway. When I disabled it, it killed her connections, but also the connection between my son's laptop and the wireless router. Is the Internet Gateway the wireless router? Seems odd she can disable it from her computer. If not, what is it and why does it affect the laptop also?

Thanks.

Hey Tollerowner,
I was looking for some answers about the speed for my computers and came accross your post. There are 2 tutorials that may help you in your given situation. (can't hurt to read them)
Basics Of IP Routing
and
Basics Of NAT(Network Address Translation)
I hope they help you. If you don't get another response with in 3 days of your next post you can go to The Waiting Room and follow the directions there.
Good luck.
Regards
BT

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Now for my question...

Windows will use the fastest connection available.
However if you were to add a faster connection (wired for example) while Windows is using a slower one (wireless for example), Windows will continue to use the slower one until you intervene, or the machine is restarted.

The Gateway appears in Windows and in 99% of cases, yes it is the router. Obviously if you disable the router, everybody goes off.