Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop takes aaaaages to load up - Help?

• Please log in to reply

cbcbcb

cbcbcb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I am hoping you will be able to help me...

My boyfriend has lent me his laptop whilst he's away for the next 2 weeks but when I swith it on it takes about 10/15 minutes before I can use it to access the internet etc. If I try and do anything whilst it's loading all I get is it crashes. The only way round it is to power down and start again.

Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Thank you.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Many things you can do to speed it up but first lets try to see what may be causing it to be slow.

First reason may be overheating, Laptops are prone to collect dust inside due to their limited space and cooling vents. Try to see if it looks to be dirty with dust bunnies and if you feel comfortable try to open the back and inspect the inside (check processor fan, Video card fan if any and vent for dust and blockage)

Second things is how much free space does you Hard Drive as. You should have a minimum of 10% (15% recommended) of free space to permit windows to freely work (ex: 100 gb HD should never have less then 10GB free space) To check how much free space go to MY COMPUTER and right click on your drice C:/ and choose PROPERTIES.

Third is maintenance, when was the last time anybody did a defragmentation, clean files, or do a checkdisk for stability.

To clean temp files and other download the free program ATF File Cleaner
http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25
Please note that you do not need to install ATF just double click on the .exe to run it.

To do a chkdisk right click on your C:/ drive and choose the tab Tools check the 2 boxes and click ok, you will have to reboot (if your system does not reboot by itself) at reboot let the system check the disk and even if it seems to take long or freeze let it run until the end and report to us if any errors were found and if they were all fixed

To defrag use either the built in XP defrag program (not the best but will do) or download the free program Auslogics Disk Defrag http://www.auslogics...efrag/download/

Fourth is your start up programs, those are the programs windows loads up at boot, over time some programs who are not really necessary to be loaded right away do unless you disable them and the more you have loading the longer it will take for you to be able to use your computer. We will look at these if the other steps have not improve your situation.

Also letting us know what is your Laptop model might help us help you.

Edited by Alzeimer, 19 December 2010 - 04:58 PM.