Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop freezing, making noises, showing black screen...

• Please log in to reply

tonyhong

tonyhong

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
ive been having this problem for about 2 weeks now.my sony vaio z laptop loves to freeze ALL THE TIME. it used to be very severe but it has gotten better in time. it freezes at random moments like when im using microsoft word, watching youtube videos, listening to music... oh and it COMPLETELY slows down when i start starcraft 2. sometimes, it makes screeching noises from the bottom of my laptop where the hard drive is placed. im pretty sure this isnt a hardware problem or a temperature problem. also, although it doesn't happen anymore, my laptop would sometimes freeze and go into a black screen that said "operating system not found..." then i would have to force restart it. ive already gotten help from another site like this and ran multiple virus scans but that didnt solve the problem.

also when it freezes the hard drive light stays on instead of blinking.

and ive googled this problem and it seems like it could be a Mebroot infection?

please help fix my useless computer :D your help would be much appreciated ;)

Advertisements

tonyhong

tonyhong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
i tried running Malwarebyte last night and it kept freezing. but i noticed something interesting, when i opened up windows task manager, my CPU was at 100%. usually when it freezes, it is at 0% or under 5%. but the laptop never gets hot.

tonyhong

tonyhong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
under windows task manager>processes, i have found that system idle process is at around 99 on CPU. could this be an issue?