Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.exe is not a valid win32 application

• Please log in to reply

deano85

deano85

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi i just recently wiped my computer and I'm downloading everything from scratch again, well i downloaded msn messenger but when i try and run it it comes up .exe is not a valid win32 application.

what are the first steps to solving this problem?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi deano85,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :D

If the msn messenger program you're attempting to run is corrupt, Windows will be unable to execute the file properly and sometimes generate this error message.

If you downloaded this file and verified it is complete and compatible with your version of Windows, delete the file and try downloading and running it again. It's possible during the download that the file became corrupted.

You can uninstall through your Add/Remove programs.

Here's a site where you can re-download it again after you uninstall the program.

MSN Messenger 7.5 for Windows XP

If you are installing this program on another computer other than your XP machine let us know so we can find you a link for it.

Or you can Google--> MSN Messenger for-->(operating system goes here). Make sure to choose the MSN site to get your install from.

Donna ;)

Edited by DonnaB, 19 December 2010 - 09:34 PM.

deano85

deano85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there tried downloading again and reinstalling it, still coming up the same thing. whats next?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hmm. Looks like we'll have to do a little trouble shooting here and your patience will be most needed.

When you reinstalled your OS, did you go to MS Updates and get all the updates needed, including SP3?

Let's see if you have any system files that may be corrupt.

Click on Start > Run.

In the Run box type sfc/ scannow. (Please note the space between / and scannow.) Then try again. If asked to insert your disk, please do so and follow instructions given.

Here's a link that may help you that has other ideas to try.

.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Keep me informed to which if any has helped.

:D

deano85

deano85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I downloaded sp3 and when i try to install it says the file c:/windows/system32/ntdll.dll is open or in use by another application. I also copy and pasted the sfc/ scannow into the run command and it says windows cannot find sfc/.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
deano,

After you reinstalled your OS did you click on Windows Updates? That should take you to the Windows Update site which will scan your computer for the needed updates automatically.

After reinstalling and before installing any programs you must get your updates first.

In order to install SP3, you must first have Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed. By clicking on Windows Updates, the scan should find whatever your new installation of Windows XP is in need of concerning Updates and install them.

What OS disk did you use to reinstall? Did the disk include SP2?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

I downloaded sp3 and when i try to install it says the file c:/windows/system32/ntdll.dll is open or in use by another application. I also copy and pasted the sfc/ scannow into the run command and it says windows cannot find sfc/.

Just a small correction. It's sfc /scannow.

deano85

deano85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I installed every windows update (all 87 of them) but now when i run the sfc /scannow command it says:

files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache insert your windows xp professional service pack 2 cd now.

It was a guy i knew who worked for dell that reinstalled windows for me and i have no clue what os disk he used, i would ask him but he moved away a few months back. If i have all the recent updates then why is it still saying this?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Are you sure you have Service Pack 3 installed? Try directing the prompt's location to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 (assuming that C: is the root drive) and see what happens.

Anyway, I don't think the original problem has to do with Service Pack 3 or anything of the sort. Try to download the previous version of Windows Live and let us know what happens.

deano85

deano85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When i run the command C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 it brings up a folder but when i scroll over it says it is empty, also i cannot see any service pack 3 in my add or remove programs but windows updates say there is no updates?

Also i can't install office because of the same problem asking for a service pack i don't have installed.

Edited by deano85, 21 December 2010 - 08:47 PM.

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Don't worry about that for now. It's not causing you any issues (as far as I know).

Just download the previous version of MSN Messenger (as the latest version doesn't seem compatible with XP). And problem solved.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Click on the link below (to manually download Service Pack 3):
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

deano85

deano85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Still won't let me install sp3, started to run it then it started the whole service pack 3 error thing saying the same thing i posted in my 3rd post.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Try doing it in Safe Mode and see what happens. If that doesn't work, you might want to make a new thread about this in the section related to malware issues (as this could easily be a malware problem).

Go here to post your thread.

If the malware expert helping you out tells you it's not a malware problem, feel free to come back here for further help.

deano85

deano85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ran in safe mode and it finally installed along with the other programs i've been having problems installing, thanks for all your help.

Dean