Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Studio XPS Desktop will not turn on

• Please log in to reply

Nolove28

Nolove28

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello All,

I have a Studio XPS Desktop 435T/9000 and it will not turn on at all. I had the bottom of the tower propped on my foot as I was plugging in the speakers when it slipped of and hasn't come back on? What could this possibly be and can it be fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Have yiu opened the case to see if any component where unplug or broken in the fall.

You say it does not turn on at all so I am assuming nothing happens when you press the power button or do you have any activity but nothing seems to happening on your screen.

If nothing at all happens (no light activity, no fans turning ect) i would check if all the connections coming from your PSU (power supply unit) are firmly inserted to the motherboard.

I would also check if the front panel connections (power and reset switch) are firmly inserted into the motherboard.

If everything is firmly connected and you still have no activity at all it might be your PSU that has failed. I do not know the brand of your PSU but most have a voltage switch in the back, so check if the switch is appropriately set to the right voltage for your country.

Other thing to verify is that your cards, memory stick are firmly inserted.

One last thing to check is your power switch button that might have broken in the fall, one thing you can try if the option is there is to switch your power button wire on the motherboard with the reset wire and use the reset button (if your case as one) to start up your computer.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Did you check the power cord? (Unplug/reinsert both ends).

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Did you check the power cord? (Unplug/reinsert both ends).

Did not think of that one :D , sometimes the simplest solution might be the right one ;)

Nolove28

Nolove28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Alzeimer,

I will check everything that you told me to do and then post back.

Thanks again.

Nolove28

Nolove28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just looked inside to see of anything was loose and I didn't find anything. I will try and take a few things apart to check further. I have a Dell Studio XPS 435T. I wasn't able to get the top panel off yet but I will try again. Thanks for the help.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435T. I wasn't able to get the top panel off ...

Dell Studio XPS™ 435T/9000 Service Manual > Replacing the I/O Panel
http://support.dell....r.htm#wp1188605

Nolove28

Nolove28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks to all that tried to help me. I took my computer to a friend to look at and Alzeimer you were right, it was a bad power supply. He hooked up his power supply to my PC and it came on. I am in the process of getting a new power supply one now.

Thanks again.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Good to hear you found the problem. Thanks for posting back. :D

Nolove28

Nolove28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the help. I'm trying to find a compatible power supply now.