Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Planning to reformat Windows XP...

• Please log in to reply

Serenadier

Serenadier

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey guys, I'm looking to reformat my old laptop because it has been sluggish for quite a while, startup time takes forever, etc. It is certainly not a malware problem, as I have previous experience with malware removal from here.

Anyway, I am not really confident with the reformat though because I have a feeling that once I reformat, I'll lose things that I have currently. Eg, programs, chatlogs hidden in some random folder, pictures sent through MSN, etc.

Are there any suggestions on where to start (to 'salvage' my data from intricate folders like Documents and Settings etc) on backing up my files? Or should I just copy and then filter the whole folder once I reformat?

I'm kinda skeptical about reformatting actually, but after defragging and a major spring cleaning of the drives, nothing really has changed. Still slow.

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Serenadier,

First things first: Formatting because of slowness etc is a last resort effort.

Now it's not entirely clear to me, but I think you have your windows operating system and your data files on the same hard drive and on the same partition.
You can check this by going to "My Computer" and seeing what hard drives are shown.

You cannot "just" format the windows drive/partition, you have to do this by using the CD. In most cases your documents and settings, programs etc are on your windows partition and will be lost when you format the drive.
If your computer has a separate drive or partitions for data, you can copy important files etc there.

Formatting your drive means reinstalling windows, and because of this you will have to reinstall all programs on your computer. You cannot reinstall windows and expect any programs on the data drive to still work.
Also, formatting any drive besides the one with windows on it, will have little effect on your computers speed.

If you want to format anyway, I suggest moving your data either to the data partition (if present) or any external (USB) drive.

Hope to help,

Mythio

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What other methods have you tried to take care of slowness?
What about Autoruns and Add\Remove programs those that you don't need or use anymore?
What about some basic house cleaning methods to deep clean the system of hidden files?
If you would like to spare the data and try to speed up the system let us know and we can try to do this without the format being needed. :D

Serenadier

Serenadier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi Serenadier,

First things first: Formatting because of slowness etc is a last resort effort.

Now it's not entirely clear to me, but I think you have your windows operating system and your data files on the same hard drive and on the same partition.
You can check this by going to "My Computer" and seeing what hard drives are shown.

You cannot "just" format the windows drive/partition, you have to do this by using the CD. In most cases your documents and settings, programs etc are on your windows partition and will be lost when you format the drive.
If your computer has a separate drive or partitions for data, you can copy important files etc there.

Formatting your drive means reinstalling windows, and because of this you will have to reinstall all programs on your computer. You cannot reinstall windows and expect any programs on the data drive to still work.
Also, formatting any drive besides the one with windows on it, will have little effect on your computers speed.

If you want to format anyway, I suggest moving your data either to the data partition (if present) or any external (USB) drive.

Hope to help,

Mythio

Yes, I know about that - I have a Windows XP SP3 CD ready actually. I'm just worried that I might lose files which I may want to keep. I'm just not sure where they are all stored in, most probably scattered around inside Documents and Settings. Reinstalling programs isn't a problem as I have all the original CDs and keys ready.

Just need a few suggestions on whether I should proceed with the reformat or proceed with any suggestions you all may have for extracting all the useful information from my disk before I reformat it.

And yes, I do have an external HDDs which I can back up to.

Serenadier

Serenadier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

What other methods have you tried to take care of slowness?
What about Autoruns and Add\Remove programs those that you don't need or use anymore?
What about some basic house cleaning methods to deep clean the system of hidden files?
If you would like to spare the data and try to speed up the system let us know and we can try to do this without the format being needed. :D

I have previous experience with GeekU, and my computer is generally clean of viruses ever since day 1 (no antivirus installed, dangerous, I know, but this laptop is already slow, putting an AV will slow it down even worse).

I've done spring cleaning on Autoruns and Add/Remove Programs with Revo Uninstaller & CCleaner multiple times but the startup time is still horrifyingly slow. Takes about 3-4 minutes to boot into usable condition.

Honestly, I would love to try any plausible way to speed up this computer, but mind you, it's a 5 year old laptop, it's never been reformatted before, not even once, and the HDD is only 55+GB, which is divided into 2 partitions: a 17GB main partition and a 38GB D drive which I keep all my work/files in. Sometimes though stuff ends up on C.

I apologize if I am making this too complicated. Would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets take a peak and see exactly what is going on.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Serenadier

Serenadier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply. First, the Autoruns log. I should let you know that it would hang and stop responding if I tried scrolling down in the list. I did manage to do a Save though.

Also, just a note, about my CPU usage and temps, my CPU idles at 800MHz, max is 1.73 - it usually reaches a maximum of 65 degrees before the fan kicks in and lowers it to about 55, then it turns off again. I manage the core speed with NHC.

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" "" "" ""
+ "Alcmtr" "Realtek Azalia Audio - Event Monitor" "Realtek Semiconductor Corp." "c:\windows\alcmtr.exe"
+ "Apoint" "Alps Pointing-device Driver" "Alps Electric Co., Ltd." "c:\program files\apoint\apoint.exe"
+ "igfxhkcmd" "hkcmd Module" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe"
+ "igfxpers" "persistence Module" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe"
+ "igfxtray" "igfxTray Module" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe"
+ "IntelliPoint" "IPoint.exe" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft intellipoint\ipoint.exe"
+ "ISBMgr.exe" "" "Sony Corporation" "c:\program files\sony\isb utility\isbmgr.exe"
+ "Mouse Suite 98 Daemon" "Mouse Suite 98 Daemon" "Primax Electronics Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\ico.exe"
+ "MSPY2002" "" "" "c:\windows\system32\ime\pintlgnt\imscinst.exe"
+ "NotebookHardwareControl" "Notebook Hardware Control" "http://www.pbus-167.com" "c:\program files\notebook hardware control\nhc.exe"
+ "RTHDCPL" "Realtek HD Audio Control Panel" "Realtek Semiconductor Corp." "c:\windows\rthdcpl.exe"
+ "SonyPowerCfg" "SPM Module" "Sony Corporation" "c:\program files\sony\vaio power management\spmgr.exe"
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" "" "" ""
+ "TB-Tray.lnk" "Thunderbird-Tray" "Felix 'SniperBeamer' Geyer" "c:\program files\thunderbird-tray\tbtray.exe"
"C:\Documents and Settings\vaio\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" "" "" ""
+ "SpywareGuard.lnk" "SpywareGuard" "" "c:\program files\spywareguard\sgmain.exe"
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" "" "" ""
+ "msnmsgr" "Windows Live Messenger" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows live\messenger\msnmsgr.exe"
+ "uTorrent" "µTorrent" "BitTorrent, Inc." "c:\program files\utorrent\utorrent.exe"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Protocols\Filter" "" "" ""
+ "text/xml" "Microsoft Office XML MIME Filter" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\office12\msoxmlmf.dll"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Protocols\Handler" "" "" ""
+ "grooveLocalGWS" "GrooveSystemServices Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\groovesystemservices.dll"
+ "livecall" "Windows Live Messenger Protocol Handler Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows live\messenger\msgrapp.14.0.8117.0416.dll"
+ "ms-help" "Microsoft® Help Data Services Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\help\hxds.dll"
+ "msnim" "Windows Live Messenger Protocol Handler Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows live\messenger\msgrapp.14.0.8117.0416.dll"
+ "skype4com" "Skype for COM API" "Skype Technologies" "c:\program files\common files\skype\skype4com.dll"
+ "wlmailhtml" "Windows Live Mail" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows live\mail\mailcomm.dll"
"HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components" "" "" ""
+ "0" "" "" "File not found: About:Home"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "" "" ""
+ "Address Book 6" "Outlook Express Setup Library" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\outlook express\setup50.exe"
+ "Microsoft Outlook Express 6" "Outlook Express Setup Library" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\outlook express\setup50.exe"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks" "" "" ""
+ "Groove GFS Stub Execution Hook" "GrooveShellExtensions Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveshellextensions.dll"
+ "SpywareGuard" "SpywareGuard Protection" "" "c:\program files\spywareguard\spywareguard.dll"
+ "Windows Desktop Search Namespace Manager" "Windows Search Namespace Manager" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows desktop search\msnlnamespacemgr.dll"
"HKCU\Software\Classes\*\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "DropboxExt" "Dropbox Shell Extension" "Dropbox, Inc." "c:\documents and settings\vaio\application data\dropbox\bin\dropboxext.13.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\*\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "MagicISO" "MagicISO Shell Extension Module" "MagicISO, Inc." "c:\program files\magiciso\misosh.dll"
+ "WinRAR" "" "" "c:\program files\winrar\rarext.dll"
+ "XXX Groove GFS Context Menu Handler XXX" "GrooveShellExtensions Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveshellextensions.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "XXX Groove GFS Context Menu Handler XXX" "GrooveShellExtensions Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveshellextensions.dll"
"HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "DropboxExt" "Dropbox Shell Extension" "Dropbox, Inc." "c:\documents and settings\vaio\application data\dropbox\bin\dropboxext.13.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Directory\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "MagicISO" "MagicISO Shell Extension Module" "MagicISO, Inc." "c:\program files\magiciso\misosh.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Directory\Shellex\DragDropHandlers" "" "" ""
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Directory\Shellex\CopyHookHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "WinSCPCopyHook" "Drag&Drop shell extension for WinSCP (32-bit)" "Martin Prikryl" "c:\program files\winscp\dragext.dll"
"HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "igfxcui" "igfxpph Module" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\igfxpph.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\Shellex\ColumnHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "PDF Shell Extension" "PDF Shell Extension" "Adobe Systems, Inc." "c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\pdfshell.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\DragDropHandlers" "" "" ""
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers" "" "" ""
+ "DropboxExt1" "Dropbox Shell Extension" "Dropbox, Inc." "c:\documents and settings\vaio\application data\dropbox\bin\dropboxext.13.dll"
+ "DropboxExt2" "Dropbox Shell Extension" "Dropbox, Inc." "c:\documents and settings\vaio\application data\dropbox\bin\dropboxext.13.dll"
+ "DropboxExt3" "Dropbox Shell Extension" "Dropbox, Inc." "c:\documents and settings\vaio\application data\dropbox\bin\dropboxext.13.dll"
+ "Groove Explorer Icon Overlay 1 (GFS Unread Stub)" "GrooveShellExtensions Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveshellextensions.dll"
+ "Groove Explorer Icon Overlay 2 (GFS Stub)" "GrooveShellExtensions Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveshellextensions.dll"
+ "Groove Explorer Icon Overlay 2.5 (GFS Unread Folder)" "GrooveShellExtensions Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveshellextensions.dll"
+ "Groove Explorer Icon Overlay 3 (GFS Folder)" "GrooveShellExtensions Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveshellextensions.dll"
+ "Groove Explorer Icon Overlay 4 (GFS Unread Mark)" "GrooveShellExtensions Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveshellextensions.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects" "" "" ""
+ "Adobe PDF Link Helper" "Adobe PDF Helper for Internet Explorer" "Adobe Systems Incorporated" "c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\acroiehelpershim.dll"
+ "FGCatchUrl" "Flashget CatchUrl Module" "www.flashget.com" "c:\program files\flashget\jccatch.dll"
+ "FlashGet GetFlash Class" "Flashget GetFlash Module" "www.flashget.com" "c:\program files\flashget\getflash.dll"
+ "Groove GFS Browser Helper" "GrooveShellExtensions Module" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveshellextensions.dll"
+ "Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper" "Java™ Platform SE binary" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll"
+ "JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class" "Java™ Quick Starter binary" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll"
+ "SpywareGuardDLBLOCK.CBrowserHelper" "SpywareGuard Download Protection" "" "c:\program files\spywareguard\dlprotect.dll"
+ "Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper" "Microsoft® Windows Live ID Login Helper" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\windowslivelogin.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions" "" "" ""
+ "Windows Messenger" "Windows Messenger" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe"
"Task Scheduler" "" "" ""
+ "AppleSoftwareUpdate.job" "Apple Software Update" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\apple software update\softwareupdate.exe"
+ "GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1462695547-2352934745-941332082-1004Core.job" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\documents and settings\vaio\local settings\application data\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
+ "GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1462695547-2352934745-941332082-1004UA.job" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\documents and settings\vaio\local settings\application data\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services" "" "" ""
+ "Adobe LM Service" "AdobeLM Service" "Adobe Systems" "c:\program files\common files\adobe systems shared\service\adobelmsvc.exe"
+ "Apple Mobile Device" "Provides the interface to Apple mobile devices." "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\common files\apple\mobile device support\applemobiledeviceservice.exe"
+ "Bonjour Service" "Enables hardware devices and software services to automatically configure themselves on the network and advertise their presence." "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsresponder.exe"
+ "EvtEng" "Intel Event Trace Manager" "Intel Corporation" "c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\evteng.exe"
+ "FLEXnet Licensing Service" "This service performs licensing functions on behalf of FLEXnet enabled products." "Macrovision Europe Ltd." "c:\program files\common files\macrovision shared\flexnet publisher\fnplicensingservice.exe"
+ "getPlusHelper" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll"
+ "gusvc" "gusvc" "Google" "c:\program files\google\common\google updater\googleupdaterservice.exe"
+ "IDriverT" "Provides support for the Running Object Table for InstallShield Drivers" "Macrovision Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\installshield\driver\1150\intel 32\idrivert.exe"
+ "iPod Service" "iPod hardware management services" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\ipod\bin\ipodservice.exe"
+ "JavaQuickStarterService" "Prefetches JRE files for faster startup of Java applets and applications" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe"
+ "odserv" "Run portions of Microsoft Office Diagnostics." "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\office12\odserv.exe"
+ "ose" "Saves installation files used for updates and repairs and is required for the downloading of Setup updates and Watson error reports." "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\source engine\ose.exe"
+ "RegSrvc" "Intel Registry Service" "Intel Corporation" "c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\regsrvc.exe"
+ "RPCER" "Manages local network connections." "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\odbc\comp.exe"
+ "S24EventMonitor" "Handles the Spectrum24 NDIS Traffic" "Intel Corporation " "c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\s24evmon.exe"
+ "ServiceLayer" "ServiceLayer Module" "Nokia" "c:\program files\pc connectivity solution\servicelayer.exe"
+ "UPHClean" "Cleans up handles to allow unloading of user profile hive. This can help speed up logging off, reconciliation of roaming profiles and prevent exceeding the registry size limit." "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\uphclean\uphclean.exe"
+ "UxTuneUp" "Allows to use visual styles without Microsoft signature." "TuneUp Software" "c:\windows\system32\uxtuneup.dll"
+ "VAIO Event Service" "Provides the hardware event managing service for VAIO. During termination of this service, some fuctions such as Special button ,Hotkey ,and VAIO original powermanagement are limited." "Sony Corporation" "c:\program files\sony\vaio event service\vesmgr.exe"
+ "WDDMService" "Provides functionality for Western Digital disk drives." "WDC" "c:\program files\western digital\wd smartware\wd drive manager\wddmservice.exe"
+ "WDSmartWareBackgroundService" "Manages background tasks for WDSmartWare Applications" "Memeo" "c:\program files\western digital\wd smartware\front parlor\wdsmartwarebackgroundservice.exe"
+ "wlidsvc" "Enables Windows Live ID authentication." "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidsvc.exe"
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services" "" "" ""
+ "AegisP" "AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v3.2.0.3" "Meetinghouse Data Communications" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\aegisp.sys"
+ "ApfiltrService" "Alps Touch Pad Driver" "Alps Electric Co., Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\apfiltr.sys"
+ "BrScnUsb" "Brother USB Scanner Driver" "Brother Industries Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\brscnusb.sys"
+ "Changer" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Changer.sys"
+ "dgderdrv" "" "" "File not found: System32\drivers\dgderdrv.sys"
+ "DMICall" "Windows 2000 DMI Call Kernel Driver" "Sony Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\dmicall.sys"
+ "EagleNT" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\EagleNT.sys"
+ "Epfwndis" "" "" "File not found: system32\DRIVERS\Epfwndis.sys"
+ "FsUsbExDisk" "" "" "c:\windows\system32\fsusbexdisk.sys"
+ "GEARAspiWDM" "CD DVD Filter" "GEAR Software Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\gearaspiwdm.sys"
+ "ggflt" "SEMC USB Flash Driver Filter" "Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ggflt.sys"
+ "ggsemc" "SEMC USB Flash Driver" "Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ggsemc.sys"
+ "hamachi" "Hamachi Virtual Network Interface Driver" "LogMeIn, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\hamachi.sys"
+ "HdAudAddService" "High Definition Audio Function Driver v1.0a" "Windows ® Server 2003 DDK provider" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudio.sys"
+ "HDAudBus" "High Definition Audio Bus Driver v1.0a" "Windows ® Server 2003 DDK provider" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudbus.sys"
+ "HSF_DPV" "HSF_DP driver" "Conexant Systems, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\hsf_dpv.sys"
+ "HSFHWAZL" "HSF_HWAZL WDM driver" "Conexant Systems, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\hsfhwazl.sys"
+ "HTCAND32" "ADB Interface" "HTC, Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\androidusb.sys"
+ "hwdatacard" "" "" "File not found: system32\DRIVERS\ewusbmdm.sys"
+ "i2omgmt" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.sys"
+ "ialm" "Intel Graphics Miniport Driver" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ialmnt5.sys"
+ "IntcAzAudAddService" "Realtek® High Definition Audio Function Driver" "Realtek Semiconductor Corp." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkhdaud.sys"
+ "lbrtfdc" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.sys"
+ "mcdbus" "MagicISO SCSI Host Controller" "MagicISO, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\mcdbus.sys"
+ "mdmxsdk" "Diagnostic Interface DRIVER" "Conexant" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\mdmxsdk.sys"
+ "Mkd2kfNt" "MyKeyDefense Keyboard Filter Driver" "AhnLab, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\mkd2kfnt.sys"
+ "Mkd2Nadr" "MyKeyDefense USB Keyboard Filter Driver" "AhnLab, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\mkd2nadr.sys"
+ "Netaapl" "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet" "Apple Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\netaapl.sys"
+ "nhcDriverDevice" "Notebook Hardware Control Device Driver" "pBUS-167 Software - http://www.pbus-167.com" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\nhcdriver.sys"
+ "nmwcd" "" "" "File not found: system32\drivers\ccdcmb.sys"
+ "nmwcdc" "" "" "File not found: system32\drivers\ccdcmbo.sys"
+ "NPF" "" "" "File not found: system32\drivers\npf.sys"
+ "PCANDIS5" "PCAUSA NDIS 5.0 Protocol Driver" "Printing Communications Assoc., Inc. (PCAUSA)" "c:\windows\system32\pcandis5.sys"
+ "pccsmcfd" "PCCS Mode Change Filter Driver" "Nokia" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\pccsmcfd.sys"
+ "PCIDump" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.sys"
+ "PDCOMP" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDCOMP.sys"
+ "PDFRAME" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDFRAME.sys"
+ "PDRELI" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRELI.sys"
+ "PDRFRAME" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRFRAME.sys"
+ "PhSerUsb" "USB Serial line emulation" "PHILOG" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\phserusb.sys"
+ "Ptilink" "Direct Parallel Link Driver" "Parallel Technologies, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ptilink.sys"
+ "PxHelp20" "Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\pxhelp20.sys"
+ "RT61" "Ralink 802.11 Wireless Adapter Driver" "Ralink Technology, Corp." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt61.sys"
+ "RTL8023xp" "Realtek 10/100/1000 NDIS 5.1 Driver " "Realtek Semiconductor Corporation " "c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtlnicxp.sys"
+ "s0016bus" "Sony Ericsson Device 0016 Driver" "MCCI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\s0016bus.sys"
+ "s0016mdfl" "Sony Ericsson Device 0016 USB WMC Modem Filter" "MCCI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\s0016mdfl.sys"
+ "s0016mdm" "Sony Ericsson Device 0016 USB WMC Modem Driver" "MCCI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\s0016mdm.sys"
+ "s0016mgmt" "Sony Ericsson Device 0016 USB WMC Device Management Drivers (WDM)" "MCCI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\s0016mgmt.sys"
+ "s0016nd5" "Sony Ericsson Device 0016 USB Ethernet Emulation (NDIS 5 Miniport)" "MCCI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\s0016nd5.sys"
+ "s0016obex" "Sony Ericsson Device 0016 USB WMC OBEX Interface" "MCCI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\s0016obex.sys"
+ "s0016unic" "Sony Ericsson Device 0016 USB Ethernet Emulation" "MCCI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\s0016unic.sys"
+ "s24trans" "WLAN Transport" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\s24trans.sys"
+ "SANDRA" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2009\WNt500x86\Sandra.sys"
+ "se59bus" "Sony Ericsson Device 089 Driver" "MCCI" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\se59bus.sys"
+ "se59mdfl" "Sony Ericsson Device 089 USB WMC Modem Filter" "MCCI" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\se59mdfl.sys"
+ "se59mdm" "Sony Ericsson Device 089 USB WMC Modem Driver" "MCCI" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\se59mdm.sys"
+ "se59mgmt" "Sony Ericsson Device 089 USB WMC Device Management Drivers (WDM)" "MCCI" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\se59mgmt.sys"
+ "se59nd5" "Sony Ericsson Device 089 USB Ethernet Emulation (NDIS 5 Miniport)" "MCCI" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\se59nd5.sys"
+ "se59obex" "Sony Ericsson Device 089 USB WMC OBEX Interface" "MCCI" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\se59obex.sys"
+ "se59unic" "Sony Ericsson Device 089 USB Ethernet Emulation" "MCCI" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\se59unic.sys"
+ "Secdrv" "SafeDisc driver" "Macrovision Corporation, Macrovision Europe Limited, and Macrovision Japan and Asia K.K." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\secdrv.sys"
+ "SNC" "Sony Notebook Control driver" "Sony Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\sonync.sys"
+ "tapvpn" "TAP-Win32 Virtual Network Driver" "The OpenVPN Project" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\tapvpn.sys"
+ "tifmsony" "tifmsony.sys" "Texas Instruments" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\tifmsony.sys"
+ "TuneUpUtilitiesDrv" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2010\TuneUpUtilitiesDriver32.sys"
+ "USBAAPL" "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" "Apple, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbaapl.sys"
+ "usbvm321" "VM321 Video Driver" "Vimicro Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbvm321.sys"
+ "VM30xx86" "Vimicro 301 AVStream driver " "Vimicro Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\vm30xx86.sys"
+ "w29n51" "Intel® Wireless LAN Driver" "Intel® Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\w29n51.sys"
+ "WDC_SAM" "Manages WD external storage products." "Western Digital Technologies" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\wdcsam.sys"
+ "WDICA" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\WDICA.sys"
+ "winachsf" "HSF_CNXT driver" "Conexant Systems, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\hsf_cnxt.sys"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32" "" "" ""
+ "msacm.iac2" "Indeo® audio software" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\iac25_32.ax"
+ "msacm.l3codec" "MPEG Audio Layer-3 Codec for MSACM" "Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS" "c:\windows\system32\l3codecp.acm"
+ "msacm.sl_anet" "Audio codec for MS ACM" "Sipro Lab Telecom Inc." "c:\windows\system32\sl_anet.acm"
+ "msacm.trspch" "DSP Group TrueSpeech™ Audio Codec for MSACM V3.50" "DSP GROUP, INC." "c:\windows\system32\tssoft32.acm"
+ "VIDC.ACDV" "" "" "File not found: ACDV.dll"
+ "vidc.cvid" "Cinepak® Codec" "Radius Inc." "c:\windows\system32\iccvid.dll"
+ "vidc.DIVX" "DivX" "DivX, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\divx.dll"
+ "VIDC.dvsd" "" "" "File not found: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SONYSH~1\VideoLib\sonydv.dll"
+ "vidc.iv31" "" "" "c:\windows\system32\ir32_32.dll"
+ "vidc.iv32" "" "" "c:\windows\system32\ir32_32.dll"
+ "vidc.iv41" "Intel Indeo® Video 4.5" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir41_32.ax"
+ "vidc.iv50" "Intel Indeo® video 5.10" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir50_32.dll"
+ "vidc.VP60" "VP6 VIDEO FOR WINDOWS CODEC " "On2.com" "c:\windows\system32\vp6vfw.dll"
+ "vidc.VP61" "VP6 VIDEO FOR WINDOWS CODEC " "On2.com" "c:\windows\system32\vp6vfw.dll"
+ "vidc.yv12" "DivX" "DivX, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\divx.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Filter" "" "" ""
+ "Indeo® video 4.4 Compression Filter" "Intel Indeo® Video 4.5" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir41_32.ax"
+ "Indeo® video 4.4 Decompression Filter" "Intel Indeo® Video 4.5" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir41_32.ax"
+ "Waves L1-Ultramaximizer+" "L1" "K. S. Waves Ltd" "c:\program files\common files\sony shared\avlib\sonicstage effect plugins\l1vaio.dll"
+ "Waves RBass" "Renaissance Bass" "K. S. Waves Ltd." "c:\program files\common files\sony shared\avlib\sonicstage effect plugins\rbassvaio.dll"
+ "Waves S1-Shuffler" "S1" "K. S. Waves Ltd" "c:\program files\common files\sony shared\avlib\sonicstage effect plugins\s1vaio.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{083863F1-70DE-11d0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\Instance" "" "" ""
+ "9x8Resize" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "AC3File" "" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\ac3file.ax"
+ "AC3Filter" "ac3filter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\ac3filter.ax"
+ "ACELP.net Audio Decoder" "ACELP.net Audio Decoder" "Sipro Lab Telecom Inc." "c:\windows\system32\acelpdec.ax"
+ "Allocator Fix" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "Bitmap" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "CDXA Reader" "CDXA Reader Filter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\cdxareader.ax"
+ "CoreVorbis Audio Decoder" "CoreVorbis" "-" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\corevorbis.ax"
+ "DC-Bass Source" "DirectShow™ Audio Decoder" "http://www.dsp-worx.de" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\dcbasssource.ax"
+ "DirectVobSub" "VobSub & TextSub filter for DirectShow/VirtualDub/Avisynth" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\vsfilter.dll"
+ "DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)" "VobSub & TextSub filter for DirectShow/VirtualDub/Avisynth" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\vsfilter.dll"
+ "DivX AAC Decoder" "AAC Audio Decoder Filter" "DivX, Inc." "c:\program files\divx\divx plus directshow filters\daac.ax"
+ "DivX Decoder Filter" "DivX Decoder Filter" "DivX, Inc." "c:\program files\divx\divx codec\divxdec.ax"
+ "DivX H.264 Decoder" "DivX H.264 Decoder Filter" "DivX, Inc." "c:\program files\divx\divx plus directshow filters\divxdech264.ax"
+ "DivX MKV Demux" "DivX MKV Splitter" "" "c:\program files\divx\divx plus directshow filters\dmfsource.ax"
+ "DivX MKV Demux (unrestricted)" "DivX MKV Splitter" "" "c:\program files\divx\divx plus directshow filters\dmfsource.ax"
+ "ffdshow Audio Decoder" "DirectShow and VFW video and audio decoding/encoding/processing filter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax"
+ "ffdshow Audio Processor" "DirectShow and VFW video and audio decoding/encoding/processing filter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax"
+ "ffdshow raw video filter" "DirectShow and VFW video and audio decoding/encoding/processing filter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax"
+ "ffdshow subtitles filter" "DirectShow and VFW video and audio decoding/encoding/processing filter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax"
+ "ffdshow Video Decoder" "DirectShow and VFW video and audio decoding/encoding/processing filter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax"
+ "File Source (Monkey Audio)" "" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\monkeysource.ax"
+ "FLV Source" "FLV Splitter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\flvsplitter.ax"
+ "FLV Splitter" "FLV Splitter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\flvsplitter.ax"
+ "FLV4 Video Decoder" "FLV Splitter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\flvsplitter.ax"
+ "Frame Eater" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "Haali Matroska Muxer" "Haali Media Splitter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\haali\splitter.ax"
+ "Haali Media Splitter" "Haali Media Splitter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\haali\splitter.ax"
+ "Haali Media Splitter (AR)" "Haali Media Splitter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\haali\splitter.ax"
+ "Haali Simple Media Splitter" "Haali Media Splitter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\haali\splitter.ax"
+ "Haali Video Renderer" "" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\haali\dxr.dll"
+ "Haali Video Sink" "Haali Media Splitter" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\haali\splitter.ax"
+ "Indeo® audio software" "Indeo® audio software" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\iac25_32.ax"
+ "Indeo® video 5.10 Compression Filter" "Intel Indeo® video 5.10" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir50_32.dll"
+ "Indeo® video 5.10 Decompression Filter" "Intel Indeo® video 5.10" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir50_32.dll"
+ "madFlac Decoder" "DirectShow FLAC Decoder" "www.madshi.net" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\madflac.ax"
+ "madFlac Source" "DirectShow FLAC Decoder" "www.madshi.net" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\madflac.ax"
+ "MONOGRAM AMR Decoder" "AMR Filter Pack" "MONOGRAM Multimedia, s.r.o." "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mmamr.ax"
+ "MONOGRAM AMR Encoder" "AMR Filter Pack" "MONOGRAM Multimedia, s.r.o." "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mmamr.ax"
+ "MONOGRAM AMR Mux" "AMR Filter Pack" "MONOGRAM Multimedia, s.r.o." "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mmamr.ax"
+ "MONOGRAM AMR Splitter" "AMR Filter Pack" "MONOGRAM Multimedia, s.r.o." "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mmamr.ax"
+ "MONOGRAM Musepack Decoder" "mmmpcdec" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mmmpcdec.ax"
+ "MONOGRAM Musepack Splitter" "mmmpcdmx" "" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mmmpcdmx.ax"
+ "MP4 Source" "MP4 Splitter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mp4splitter.ax"
+ "MP4 Splitter" "MP4 Splitter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mp4splitter.ax"
+ "MPEG Layer-3 Decoder" "MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder" "Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS" "c:\windows\system32\l3codecx.ax"
+ "Mpeg Source" "Mpeg Splitter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mpegsplitter.ax"
+ "Mpeg Splitter" "Mpeg Splitter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mpegsplitter.ax"
+ "MPEG4 Video Source" "MP4 Splitter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mp4splitter.ax"
+ "MPEG4 Video Splitter" "MP4 Splitter" "Gabest" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\mp4splitter.ax"
+ "Record Queue" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "ShotDetect" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "SONY AC3 Decoder" "Sony AC3 Decoder Filter" "Sony Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\sony shared\ac3dec\sac3dec.ax"
+ "Sony MP4 File Source" "Sony MP4 File Source Filter" "Sony Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\sony shared\mp4lib\mp4filesource.ax"
+ "SONY MPEG Video Decoder" "Sony MPEG4 Video Decoder" "Sony Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\sony shared\mp4lib\sm4spvd.ax"
+ "StdOut" "File Dump Filter" "Sony Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\sony shared\avlib\stdout.ax"
+ "Stetch" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "T" "VP6 Decompression Filter" "On2.com Inc." "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\vp6dec.ax"
+ "T" "VP7 Decompression Filter" "On2.com Inc." "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\vp7dec.ax"
+ "VaioAacDecFilter" "Sony MPEG4 AAC Decoder" "Sony Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\sony shared\mp4lib\saaclcd.ax"
+ "WavPack Audio Decoder" "WavPack Audio DirectShow Decoder" "-" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\wavpackdsdecoder.ax"
+ "WavPack Audio Splitter" "WavPack Audio DirectShow Splitter" "-" "c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\filters\wavpackdssplitter.ax"
+ "WIA Stream Snapshot Filter" "WIA Stream Snapshot Filter" "MyCompanyName" "c:\windows\system32\wiasf.ax"
+ "WM VIH2 Fix" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Audio Analyzer" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Black Frame Generator" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT DirectX Transform Wrapper" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT DV Extract Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT FormatConversion" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Import Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Interlacer" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Log Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT MuxDeMux Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Sample Info Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Screen capture Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Switch Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Virtual Renderer" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Virtual Source" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Volume" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify" "" "" ""
+ "igfxcui" "igfxdev Module" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\igfxdev.dll"
+ "VESWinlogon" "VAIO Event Service (Winlogon Notification Module)" "Sony Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\veswinlogon.dll"
"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors" "" "" ""
+ "Canon BJ Language Monitor MP140 series" "IJ Language Monitor" "CANON INC." "c:\windows\system32\cnmlm8r.dll"
+ "Canon BJ Language Monitor MP190 series" "IJ Language Monitor" "CANON INC." "c:\windows\system32\cnmlm9i.dll"

Next up from Everest:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer YOUR-050E312681 (Kelvin)
Generator vaio
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2010-12-20
Time 22:00

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name YOUR-050E312681 (Kelvin)
User Name vaio

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium M 740J, 1333 MHz (10 x 133)
Motherboard Name Sony Corporation Q-Project
Motherboard Chipset Intel Alviso-G i915GM
System Memory 2038 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (11/10/05)

Display:
Video Adapter Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family (128 MB)
Video Adapter Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family (128 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel GMA 900
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor (120014)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2653
IDE Controller Texas Instruments PCI7420 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller MagicISO SCSI Host Controller
Disk Drive MemoryStick or MemoryStickPro Device
Disk Drive HTS541060G9SA00 (60 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Optical Drive QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-243
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 19077 MB (2112 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 33377 MB (7432 MB free)
Total Size 52454 MB (9544 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)
Mouse Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)

Network:
Network Adapter D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G630 Wireless Cardbus Adapter(rev.E) (192.168.0.100)
Network Adapter Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Modem HDAUDIO SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Peripherals:
Printer Brother DCP-145C Printer
Printer Brother HL-2040 series
Printer Canon MP190 series Printer
Printer Fax
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer PaperPort Image Printer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]
USB Device Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC1
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Cheers!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first please don't put the logs in quote boxes. Just copy and paste them and if you are having problems with scrolling to highlight everything just go to Edit then click on Select All.
Then Edit again and then Copy and then Paste in your reply.

Next part of your issue is the lack of space on the main partition so now lets see if we can open that up some.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "igfxtray"
+ "msnmsgr"
+ "uTorrent"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now you say this:

I have previous experience with GeekU, and my computer is generally clean of viruses ever since day 1 (no antivirus installed, dangerous, I know, but this laptop is already slow, putting an AV will slow it down even worse).

You are playing with fire as you know and the use of Utorrent along with the fact you have no installed Real Time AV is just a recipe for issues.
How do you know it is clean if you have no AV installed?
I'm not criticizing but only pointing out the obvious as what you said you have experience with GeekU so you really know the dangers.
Please let me know if you see any improvement after you complete the steps in my previous post. :D

Serenadier

Serenadier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Now you say this:

You are playing with fire as you know and the use of Utorrent along with the fact you have no installed Real Time AV is just a recipe for issues.
How do you know it is clean if you have no AV installed?
I'm not criticizing but only pointing out the obvious as what you said you have experience with GeekU so you really know the dangers.
Please let me know if you see any improvement after you complete the steps in my previous post. :D

Yup, I do know the dangers of not having an AV and directly messing with BitTorrent. Usually I see tell-tale signs like browser hijacks, popups, etc. I might be wrong though. And I'm actually restarting GeekU now, because I find malware removal and these stuff to be pretty interesting.

I leave my computer without an AV because I've tried many (NOD32, avast, AVG, Norton, Kaspersky) but all of them seem to pull my system down.

I'm running the defragmenter at the moment, and I apologise cause I left out the temperature readings just now. It is attached.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Serenadier

Serenadier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
EDIT: double post again :D

Attached Thumbnails

• temps.jpg

Edited by Serenadier, 20 December 2010 - 09:02 AM.

Serenadier

Serenadier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
EDIT: double post. Internet is a little crazy at the moment. And the picture didn't upload :D

EDIT 2: And the picture is finally up.

Edited by Serenadier, 20 December 2010 - 09:01 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Temps look good but you should really think about purchasing a larger driver. With the price of a 500 gb drive being 50USD or less now it is worth the investment to ensure you have the space you need.
You could allocate 100 gigs to your OS thus making sure you have plenty of space for those accidental installations to it.

Serenadier

Serenadier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Temps look good but you should really think about purchasing a larger driver. With the price of a 500 gb drive being 50USD or less now it is worth the investment to ensure you have the space you need.
You could allocate 100 gigs to your OS thus making sure you have plenty of space for those accidental installations to it.

I've got a Dell XPS 15 being built now as we speak, actually. It's been 5 years since this laptop was bought and it has served me faithfully. And it will continue being my normal browsing laptop. Imagine, I've been doing heavy Photoshop and Lightroom on this computer. :D

Just thought reformatting will give it a new lease of life. I've actually reformatted my other laptop and the former Windows XP laptop was reformatted to Windows 7. ;)

Anyway, on topic - the defragging did a bit. But the startup is immensely slow, still.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Autoruns, TFC, Defrag
Ran all the suggested programs and in order?