Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

.exe files blocked?

• Please log in to reply

Daley

Daley

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, i recently wiped my computer clean and since, i've had problems with .exe files, heres the wierd thing, i backed up some patches (for games nothing serious) from my computer before i wiped it onto an external hard drive I installed the game and installed the patches from the external hard drive just fine, but then i install another game which i had on my computer before wiping it i did not have the patches on my external hard drive i goto the exact same location as i got the patches before and had installed it in exactly the same way but they are saying that the file type is unknown, i click on it and it says 'Open with' it's exactly the same file type as the other patches i had backed up which installed just fine so i go into properties onto these files and it says they where blocked? So i unblocked them but still nothing.. I had just left it and continued playing the other game with the patches but now i've come back to it i've downloaded another .exe file and same thing it's blocked so i go through and unblock and hope for the best but no, says file type is unknown again this is happening with EVERY .exe file i download and i really need to find a fix.
I have Norton Firewall with win7 (64Bit) and have tried disabling firewall it but still to no prevail. Please help me! :D
Adam.

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Hi, i recently wiped my computer clean and since, i've had problems with .exe files, heres the wierd thing, i backed up some patches (for games nothing serious) from my computer before i wiped it onto an external hard drive I installed the game and installed the patches from the external hard drive just fine, but then i install another game which i had on my computer before wiping it i did not have the patches on my external hard drive i goto the exact same location as i got the patches before and had installed it in exactly the same way but they are saying that the file type is unknown, i click on it and it says 'Open with' it's exactly the same file type as the other patches i had backed up which installed just fine so i go into properties onto these files and it says they where blocked? So i unblocked them but still nothing.. I had just left it and continued playing the other game with the patches but now i've come back to it i've downloaded another .exe file and same thing it's blocked so i go through and unblock and hope for the best but no, says file type is unknown again this is happening with EVERY .exe file i download and i really need to find a fix.
I have Norton Firewall with win7 (64Bit) and have tried disabling firewall it but still to no prevail. Please help me! :D
Adam.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like a malware problem. Feel free to make a new thread about this in the appropriate section.