Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Problem with desktop..unable to see icons or right click it..

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am unable to either see my desktop icons or move files into my desktop or right click my desktop. But my taskbar is available. Whats the problem??

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Strange. Sounds like something is hiding the actual Desktop. Are you able to access the Desktop folder itself? It's usually located in C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Desktop (assuming that C: is the root drive).

EDIT: For Vista, it's C:\Users\[user]\Desktop (assuming that C: is the root drive).

Edited by Amlak, 21 December 2010 - 07:33 PM.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You have as pointed out by Amlak posted in the XP forum but your spec says Vista.
Go start run in XP type "msconfig" press enter
In Vista Start, search type "msconfig press enter
If in admin account agree to open. If not in Admin enter details as required and open msconfig.

Does it open and then immediately close.
Post back results of that please.

as well of course as replying to Amlak.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 December 2010 - 02:44 PM.