Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Program

• Please log in to reply

biggiea200

biggiea200

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
An unknown program keeps appearing in the taskbar and dissappearing really quickly. I do not have enough time to see what it is. Its more of like a system program. It might be related to Norton Antivirus. It is getting annoying playing games and it comes up and takes me to the desktop. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

WhiteLion

WhiteLion

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go biggiea200, I am WhiteLion, I will be addressing your problem today.

In order for us to properly address your problem we encourage you to do several things.

Install some anti-spyware programs
Take a look at Ad-Aware
Install SpyBot S&D

Install HijackThis!:
Found here

Your problem sounds like it could be spyware related. So we also encourage you to post a HijackThis! log in the Malware Removal Forum - http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

Cheers
:tazz:

Edited by WhiteLion, 26 May 2005 - 08:24 PM.

biggiea200

biggiea200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
After some thought... I came up with the idea to use the print screen feature. I opened up the process window and waited for the dern thing to pop and again and copied the image in paint... These two processes were added to the list when it popped up:

1) HPOSM.exe (HP Solution Manager Module)
2) hptskmgr.exe (HP Task Management Component)

That was the only two i noticed

and i am running spyware programs frequently

Any ideas?

WhiteLion

WhiteLion

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
biggiea200,

Both of the files are legitiment ones. If you post a HJT log in our Malware section, one of our malware removal experts will read it over and offer you some great advice.

Edited by WhiteLion, 26 May 2005 - 08:54 PM.

biggiea200

biggiea200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I posted my HJL log

I was just wondering why these programs would just come up automatically and i cant make it stop

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they are program installed by HP to check for updates for the computer. They will check with HP servers at scheduled times to see if your drivers are out of date, if a patch is needed, etc.

They are not dangerous, but annoying, but HP puts them in there because the typical user rarely updates his or her computer.