Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network set up

• Please log in to reply

AgedNovice

AgedNovice

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a desktop running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with SP2 and a laptop running XP Professional with SP3. I am trying to set up a home network to connect these two M/Cs. I can access the public folder on the desktop from the laptop, but when I try to access the laptop I get a drop down request for a user name and password. Although I enter the administrator user account details I only get a message to say logon unsuccessful...be sure your user name and password are correct, which they are!

Any help/advice would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Tony Holland

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
AgedNovice,

Let's verify that you have "Simple File Sharing" enabled on the Windows XP machine. Please follow the link below.

How to use the Simple File Sharing feature to share files in Windows XP

AgedNovice

AgedNovice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK Simple File Sharing is on, but I still cannot access the laptop from the PC. If I turn on the Guest account on the laptop I get this message when I try to access it:

"\\LAPTOP (the name of the laptop) is not accessiuble. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administator of this service to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

Does that help?

Best wishes

Tony Holland

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
You can turn off guest account, you don't need to have that enabled to access a share. When you share a file/folder on the XP machine, can you see it on the Vista machine and access it? Also, do you have a third party firewall turn on on either of the two machines? The firewall (if enabled) could be blocking access.

Edited by 3quilibrium, 22 December 2010 - 02:28 PM.

AgedNovice

AgedNovice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks 3quilibrium all now working. I've turned on the "share this folder" button in the Shared Documents Properties menu, which has done the trick.

Many thanks for your help

Best wishes

Tony Holland