Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus program recommendations!

• Please log in to reply

Sly

Sly

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello all!

I need a very good Antivirus program. I've had Norton Antivirus Pro. before but everybody says it's useless??

Some people have told me AVG is very good but I use a "free" edition right now so I don't know if I should trust it or not.

What do you think about Kaspersky? Any better suggestions?

Thanks!

Ps. I use win XP pro.

Advertisements

WhiteLion

WhiteLion

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go Sly, I am WhiteLion, I will be addressing your problem today.

There are many great programs here is a good free anti-virus:

AVG
WARNING: Make sure you only have one Anti-Virus program running at a time

Cheers!
:tazz:

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for your warm welcome but...lol did you read my text properly? :tazz:

WhiteLion

WhiteLion

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Doh! Take 2. :tazz:

Well sice you already have AVG another good one is
Avast!

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
LOL...so is that good? I want the best! :tazz:

WhiteLion

WhiteLion

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have had it on my machine for about a month and I find that it is better than AVG. :tazz:

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Alrighty then.....I shall try that! :tazz:
Danke! (thanks)

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I like AVG or Panda

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Norton is not junk, but it is very system resource intensive. It's detection rate is among the best. Because it is the big boy on the block, it gets a lot of undeserved bashing (like Microsoft).

Is it the best? No.

Avg and Avast are both excellent free AV programs, because they offer virus scanning and real time protection. They trade off as to better detection rates, but both are close. Seems the last head to head I saw had AVG with a better score, but last fall it was Avast. Another worth considering is AntivirusPE, especially if you have an older machine, since it's memory footprint is the smallest of the three, but it does not offer a realtime mail scan.

If you are willing to pay, the two best AV programs are Nod32 and Kaspersky, which consistant rank 1 or 2. Kaspersky tends to be more system resource intense than Nod32, so many prefer the latter.

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
dear gerryf
Thanks a lot for your reply!

The thing is that my machine is not old and it's good enough to be able to manage Norton very well! The problem is just that, as many say, it can't repair all the viruses. It detected a virus in my pc for a while ago and couldn't neither repair it n'or delete it. So my pc ended up getting a lot of damages by the virus.

Anyways, so you say Nod32 and Kaspersky are the best AV?? Even better than Norton?? If so..I might go for one of them! BTW, where do you get your rankings from?

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
BTT